Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Over carbonated and flat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
fromhereon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Over carbonated and flat

Hi Everyone,

I've been looking for the answer to this question for a while now but can't seem to find it.

When force carbonating my kegged beer I always seem to over carbonate it. It foams like crazy before it ever tastes carbonated. I'm running it off extremly slow when I first taste it, so its no that I'm letting it shoot out of the keg or anything.

My thinking was that maybe it had something to do with the fact that it was finished carbonating before the beer had completly cleared up. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the yeast floating around in the beer had some kind of effect on the carbonation. For example, making the bubbles smaller or something like that, because I can tell its carbonated but it feels like something carbonated with nitrous.

Anyway thanks in advance for any suggestions
-Dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
fromhereon
Recipes 

Default Over carbonated and flat

Hi Everyone,

I've been looking for the answer to this question for a while now but can't seem to find it.

When force carbonating my kegged beer I always seem to over carbonate it. It foams like crazy before it ever tastes carbonated. I'm running it off extremly slow when I first taste it, so its no that I'm letting it shoot out of the keg or anything.

My thinking was that maybe it had something to do with the fact that it was finished carbonating before the beer had completly cleared up. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the yeast floating around in the beer had some kind of effect on the carbonation. For example, making the bubbles smaller or something like that, because I can tell its carbonated but it feels like something carbonated with nitrous.

Anyway thanks in advance for any suggestions
-Dan

Old 06-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
brettg20
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I always release some of the pressure after force carbing it then hook it up to the gas at around 10 psi. Never have had a problem.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yep, sounds like he's not dumping the pressure off/out of the keg first...then reconnecting at a lower pressure to dispense...

Old 06-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
DustinHickey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had it set at 12 PSI for a week. and then dispensing at 12 psi. worked fine. Tried turning PSI down to dispense after it foamed and still had foam. any ideas?

Old 06-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
Rushis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromhereon View Post
I'm running it off extremly slow when I first taste it, so its no that I'm letting it shoot out of the keg or anything.
Another thought...
Are you opening the tap all of the way? Partially opening the tap (whether it is a picnic tap or perlick) is great way to make sure you get nothing but foam.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
bsdx
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How long is your serving hose? What PSI are you serving at and how did you carbonate?

For the time being, I would try serving as fast as it will flow, starting and stopping as abruptly as possible, I would think trying to pour slowly might increase foam. It might be more apparent when pouring into a larger glass.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
fromhereon
Recipes 

I believe the serving hose is about 6 feet and I always make sure to open the tap all the way. I don't think it is the equipment though because when I get the carbonation leveled out right it comes out perfect.

Also I carbonate the beer at 35 psi for a day or two then bleed off all the pressure. Then I connect the serving hose and turn the pressure up to about 10 psi. Now I want to taste a little to see where the carbonation is but it foams like crazy. So I bleed the tank again and turn the psi down to about 3. It comes out without foaming at all, but it tastes flat.

I guess I might be able to fix the whole thing by just carbonated slower. I can't stand waiting so I try to hurry it along for the first day or two.

Thanks again for all you responses,
Dan

Old 06-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
dex0807
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

What diameter is your serving hose? You need about 6 to 10 feet of 3/16 hose to restrict your flow to keep the CO2 in solution.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #10
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I think that may be my problem too. I have 3/16" lines at 4.75 feet length. The beer is perfectly carbonated after 2 weeks of 38F and 10 PSI. Then after a day, it tastes flat with tons of foam. Then the next morning it is good again, but only for 1 or 2 glasses, then back to being flat tasting.

Quick Reply