Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Over-Carbed Beer Cause Pouring Issues?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
NCGrayson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Over-Carbed Beer Cause Pouring Issues?

Here's the scoop. Brewed a 5 gallon batch of black IPA about 6 weeks ago, dry-hopped in Secondary with 1oz of pellet hops, filtered beer from secondary to keg with a muslin bag over the end of the auto-siphon, threw into keezer. Kept on 30psi for ~60 hours. Turned down gas to ~10 psi for serving, and......senior citizens move faster. if i had the patience to test, it would probably take about 6 minutes to pour a full pint. it's definitely carbed, theres no question about that, but it barely flows out of the tap. I thought my out side of the keg might be clogged, so i took apart the post, picnic-tap faucet, poppets, dip tube, and cleaned them all. Dip tube was shiny clean, no hop residue. The same goes for all the other parts on the out side of the keg. crystal clear. I can pull the pressure relief valve and smell deliciousness with the blast of beer-air, so I know the gas in side is working like it should, it just won't pour.

Since i've taken everything apart the only two conclusions i'm having are this.

1) beer is entirely too over-carbed, and this is resulting in only foam being pushed up the dip tube causing foam to restrict the flow and take forever.

2) or, there is more hop sediment that has formed a tight cake in the bottom of my keg and the dip-tube is deep into that cake, and the cake itself is causing a horrible flow.

Anybody have any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
carltjones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you have others kegs currently connected to the regulator that pour normally? What is your beer line size?

Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
NCGrayson
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltjones View Post
Do you have others kegs currently connected to the regulator that pour normally? What is your beer line size?
All other kegs pour normally. I have a two gauge regulator. The first gauge has the said black ipa hooked up to it. The second gauge, the one farthest from the co2 tank feeds a 4 way manifold. All beers attached to the manifold pour just fine. I've swapped out hoses and disconnects an the whole lot and still barely any flow. Beer line size is standard diameter, 6 feet. It's weird because no matter what liquid hose/disconnect I use, they're all deathly slow.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
NCGrayson
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Aghhhh this is so frustrating! Should I transfer to another keg and see if that helps anything?!?! I'm relatively new to kegging...am I not using the dual gauge regulator correctly? Right now the beer in question is on the gauge nearest to the co2. Should I move the gas line to the manifold connecte to the second gauge? I just want to drink my delicious blackIPA!!

Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1058 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Try a different liquid disconnect. It's possible that the spring is weak on the QD but strong on the poppet and is not opening very well.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Mainebrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds like your liquid connector or your faucet is hanging up, try a different one and also before i would do that pull that picnic tap off and take all pressure off the keg then put your liquid line connector on and start putting a little gas through it. This will tell you if the connector is junk or the tap is junk.

Have a porter on tap, and 10 gal of a ipa going to work. in the mean time I sip beers from all over from great beer trades. Have a ghoulship in the fridge now!!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
NCGrayson
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i have already done that Bobby and Mainebrew, I have swapped out liquid connections and picnic taps from other kegs, they flow just as slow. put them back on their respective kegs and they flow normally. should I swap out the posts?

Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
NCGrayson
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

one thing i've noticed, is that this keg came with a universal poppet for the out post. seen here:

that being said, the top of the poppet sticks out slightly over the top of the post. is it possible the spring on the poppet is so strong that all of my liquid disconnects cant depress it but ever so ever so EVER so slightly?

im starting to think that could be the case more and more now....i don't have an extra post/poppet to swap out and see so i'll need to head to the LHBS to get a spare, but I remember now that every time I try to screw on the post with the poppet in place, I have to press down super hard to get the first bit of threads started. the spring is so stiff that it's prohibiting the post from screwing on without some force.

I guess I could remove the poppet completely, attach a disconnect and a faucet, turn on the gas, and see what happens then?

Old 11-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #9
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1380 Times on 1115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGrayson View Post
[...]I guess I could remove the poppet completely, attach a disconnect and a faucet, turn on the gas, and see what happens then?
Certainly. But carefully, lest you bathe in your brew

Cheers!

Old 11-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #10
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGrayson View Post
one thing i've noticed, is that this keg came with a universal poppet for the out post. seen here:

that being said, the top of the poppet sticks out slightly over the top of the post. is it possible the spring on the poppet is so strong that all of my liquid disconnects cant depress it but ever so ever so EVER so slightly?

im starting to think that could be the case more and more now....i don't have an extra post/poppet to swap out and see so i'll need to head to the LHBS to get a spare, but I remember now that every time I try to screw on the post with the poppet in place, I have to press down super hard to get the first bit of threads started. the spring is so stiff that it's prohibiting the post from screwing on without some force.

I guess I could remove the poppet completely, attach a disconnect and a faucet, turn on the gas, and see what happens then?
Yep, the springs on some of the universal poppets are made extra long so that they'll work with the older John Wood and Firestone kegs that have the nylon inserts. When used with certain shorter post types it creates way too much spring pressure, and the spring has to be trimmed shorter in order for it work properly. One of the reasons I'm not a fan of "universal" poppets. I would try trimming the spring before I tried using the keg without a poppet, but that's just me.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Quick Reply