Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Oster Kegerator Temp Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
ctaylor73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oster Kegerator Temp Question

I recently converted the Oster 5.0 kegerator via "Slipgates" instructions, fan and all and I cant get the internal temperature(with one half-full Cornie inside for 5 days) to drop below 45°. Any suggestions? Anyone else experiencing the same problems?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 01:53 AM   #2
ctaylor73
Recipes 

Let me also say that until just recently it was cooling to 34°. The only thing different was I had to adjust a wire in the door sensor, light and thermostat housing. The wire is not associated with the thermostat. The odd thing is that the compressor shuts off for periods of time as if it has reached its optimal temperature, but 45° at its coldest setting is an error. Anyone know about the thermostats in the Oster mini-fridges?

Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm thinking (hoping) it's just location. Did you just move the housing up like most of the conversions I've seen have done? Maybe go with the bottle and cold pack gel immersion method to get more accurate temp readings..

Love/Ranco unit the other option...

Old 12-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
ctaylor73
Recipes 

Yes I did move it up closer to the top of the mini-fridge, but wouldn't you think that would make the internal temperature a little colder seeing as how its thermostat is a tad higher and warm air rises? This is the picture of the moved thermostat. Will a Ranco or Love work on a Oster 5.0 Compact Refrigerator?

http://imagehost.calabro.us/images/b...er/oster59.JPG

Old 12-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Correct, higher is better on the location for your thermostat. Have you test the temp in different locations? It could be poor air circulation.

Yes, a controller would work. It would bypass your thermostat for the most part. You could set it up with temp probe and based on your setting would control your compressor.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
ctaylor73
Recipes 

The external thermostat might be my only hope because the Oster thermostat is at the top of the fridge. It is as high as it can go. I turned the tower fan off to see if that has anything to do with it. Which Ranco or Love temperature controller do you recommend?

Quick Reply