Optimal Kegerator temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewbeliever

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey HBT community! I've heard varying statements about what an optimal kegerator temperature is, but I am wondering what you all think. I currently have mine set at 38*F, but do any of you recommend setting it higher or lower?

It's really personal preference. If you don't mind it cold, colder makes line balancing easier, and decreases risk of infections taking hold in your keg or beer lines. That's one of the reasons most commercial set-ups are 34-38°. I don't like super cold beer though, and keep mine at 40°. I think you'll find the majority of us homebrewers keep things between 36° and 42°.

41F here, with a 3 or 4 degree diff for the controller. Probe sits and measures freely flowing air near the bottom of the CO2 tank (around the midpoint of the freezer on the hump).

It really depends on what you're serving. If you've got IPA's, brown ales, stouts, or wheats/hefes (well, there goes a BUNCH of beers), the general consensus it to keep it around 40-45 serving temp. Allows malts and hops to really shine.

On the other hand, if you're serving pilsners, lagers, etc, then you're probably going to want mid to high 30's.

Back