Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > One regulator, different carbonation levels?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
Heavyfoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default One regulator, different carbonation levels?

Hi all. I've finally just gotten around to getting myself a kegging setup and have brewed three beers over the last few days to be my first on tap beers. I've got a pale ale, brown ale and a hefeweizen bubbling away in primarys.

My setup consists of a keezer with three cornys and a three way gas distributor, but just one regulator. My question is, is there anyway I can somehow carbonate the hefeweizen more than the other two beers with this setup? And if so, what's the recommended strategy?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
chriscraig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No. You're going to need a separate regulator for each pressure you want to keep.

Primary: Hurricane IPA
Kegged: Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Burning Barrel Stout
Planned: Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale

Old 02-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yep, you'll need a separate regulator for the other pressure. You can do this with a secondary regulator or by replacing your primary regulator with one that can do dual pressure, dual output.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Heavyfoot
Recipes 

So something like closing the valves to the pale and brown ales, cranking the psi a bit for a day or so, then dropping the psi back down and reopening the valves to the pale and brown wouldn't work (repeating the whole process every now and then)?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyfoot View Post
So something like closing the valves to the pale and brown ales, cranking the psi a bit for a day or so, then dropping the psi back down and reopening the valves to the pale and brown wouldn't work (repeating the whole process every now and then)?
Sounds like a lot of work. If it were me, I'd have the weizen at the same pressure as the others.

You could get another primary regulator and mount it to the other regulator. If it were me and I really wanted to have the weizen at a higher carb, I'd sell the distributor and primary and buy a taprite dual output regulator and then just "T" the one output for the normal carb beers. Kegging equipment sells pretty fast on the Buy/Sell forum here.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It will work in theory to an extent, but it would be hard to get it right. But give it a go if you want to test it. In other words if all three are fully carbed at 12 psi and you shut the valves on two and crank to 30 psi for a day on the third, then you will do as you are asking but there will be no telling what the pressure in the third will be without it's own regulator.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 392

won't work. get two regs.

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 02-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
bctdi
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
This is exactly what I was planning on doing. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work.Right now I have 1 reg split into 2 lines but only 1 s/o valve upstream of the split....it would be a lot cheaper to just get another valve than a whole new reg...and a little more trouble when switching beers....like maybe 30 seconds extra to adjust the pressure and move 2 valves.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 392

you're gonna spent a crapton of time, it's not going to work very well, you'll get foamy beer, and you'll waste a sh*tton of gas.

all that to get out of spending $20 for another reg?

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 02-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Yes this will work...but it will be trial and error, and you will never really know how much additional gas you have in the hefe as it will always be working it's way back to the regulated pressure and carbonation.

Another regulator to do it right...if you want to play...have at it.

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Corona Mill Bucket System V. 2

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS