Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > One Month Force Carb - No Carbonation - No Leak?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
luke2080's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 452
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Default One Month Force Carb - No Carbonation - No Leak?

I brewed up a 10G batch of a Honey Orange Hefe, split into 2 5G batches to ferment (one over pitched, one under pitched to test the flavors) After 30 days in the primary, I kegged, put on to 18 PSI under 41* Temp for 30 days and pulled the first beers.

First beer pulled on the one was great, same for the other batch. But after the first few beers, one beer keeps going well. The other beer....pours like water.

It tastes good, smells good, and I've kicked it up to 20 PSI for the past few days. Nothing, no head at all, tastes flat.

If I had a leak, over 30 days wouldn't I have had my tank run out? Its a 20 lbs tank, still well into the green (and at room temp).

I'm using an 8ft line, with 3/16" I.D.

Totally confused on this. I'm going to re-re-check for leaks. Is there anything else that can cause this? Totally flat, no head, same batch pouring perfectly on the other tap.

__________________
luke2080 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
luke2080's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 452
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Its like the beer just refuses to let the co2 dissolve into it. Makes me sad. I wonder if the out poppit is leaking. tough to tell by taking it off since that gives out some beer, and i have condensation over everything in the keezer anyway.

__________________
luke2080 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 02:54 AM   #3
bf514921
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central City
Posts: 311
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I have had a similar issue, but it wasn't beer, it was root beer, have you tried shaking the flat batch?

__________________
bf514921 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 03:10 AM   #4
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
luke2080's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 452
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf514921 View Post
I have had a similar issue, but it wasn't beer, it was root beer, have you tried shaking the flat batch?
Shaking is the next step. Just wish I could identify the root cause.
__________________
luke2080 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 03:14 AM   #5
strat_thru_marshall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,679
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

sounds like a leak...or like you accidentally left the shutoff valve on the gas line turned OFF for those 30 days (I've done that...). After 15 days you should have full carb at that pressure/temp...you have a problem with your gas system somewhere.

__________________
strat_thru_marshall is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 03:23 AM   #6
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
luke2080's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 452
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_thru_marshall View Post
sounds like a leak...or like you accidentally left the shutoff valve on the gas line turned OFF for those 30 days (I've done that...). After 15 days you should have full carb at that pressure/temp...you have a problem with your gas system somewhere.
I'm going from a splitter on the c02 body, then to a 2 valve distributor. I checked those over and over (hold on) just checked again. Everything is on. And it had pressure. Thing poured like it was niagara falls. Its a shock I didn't get a 5 second head from the pure force of it. But nope.

Just switched gas lines from a keg that kicked. It must be a leak, just did the soap test and couldn't find it. Or this beer hates carbonation.
__________________
luke2080 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 03:35 AM   #7
strat_thru_marshall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,679
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2080 View Post
I'm going from a splitter on the c02 body, then to a 2 valve distributor. I checked those over and over (hold on) just checked again. Everything is on. And it had pressure. Thing poured like it was niagara falls. Its a shock I didn't get a 5 second head from the pure force of it. But nope.

Just switched gas lines from a keg that kicked. It must be a leak, just did the soap test and couldn't find it. Or this beer hates carbonation.
a splitter then a 2 valve distro? what does the splitter go to? directly to a gas disconnect or to another distributor? are both kegs hooked up to the 2 valve distro, or is one on the other leg of the splitter?
__________________
strat_thru_marshall is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 03:51 AM   #8
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
luke2080's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 452
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_thru_marshall View Post
a splitter then a 2 valve distro? what does the splitter go to? directly to a gas disconnect or to another distributor? are both kegs hooked up to the 2 valve distro, or is one on the other leg of the splitter?
I've got a dual body regulator, with a splitter on both. Each splitter (so one from each body) has a gas line into the keezer. Then they both hit a 2 valve distro.

Basically, I can take 1 pressure to 2 different kegs in the keezer, and a 2nd pressure to another 2 different kegs. The still have 2 free lines (with check valves, that are turned off) for me to hook up as need for other CO2 needs. force carbing, pushing pbw through kegs and lines, etc.

Overkill? yes. But handy.
__________________
luke2080 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 03:52 AM   #9
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
luke2080's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 452
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Default

So from the 2 valve distro, I have 2 gas lines, each going to a different keg. both have check valves, that are turned on.

__________________
luke2080 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 04:02 AM   #10
strat_thru_marshall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,679
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2080 View Post
I've got a dual body regulator, with a splitter on both. Each splitter (so one from each body) has a gas line into the keezer. Then they both hit a 2 valve distro.

Basically, I can take 1 pressure to 2 different kegs in the keezer, and a 2nd pressure to another 2 different kegs. The still have 2 free lines (with check valves, that are turned off) for me to hook up as need for other CO2 needs. force carbing, pushing pbw through kegs and lines, etc.

Overkill? yes. But handy.
cool setup. i still suspect a leak, maybe a poppet valve? Either that or your beer is an anomaly of physics...
__________________
strat_thru_marshall is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How about a vote: force carb or natural carb in keg jaginger Bottling/Kegging 14 07-03-2012 05:07 AM
force carb vs. natural carb BrewDey Bottling/Kegging 17 01-10-2011 02:57 AM
1 month and no carb, what's a guy to do? jmo88 Bottling/Kegging 7 06-17-2009 02:10 PM
Best way to force Carb at 33C christpuncher123 Bottling/Kegging 5 05-09-2009 12:57 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS