The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > One big party bottle--is this possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
eddie884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default One big party bottle--is this possible?

I am going to throw a "moving-out party" at my house and I wanted to serve some homebrew--but I don't have a traditional kegging system. In the past, I've bottled, but I don't have the time/patience for that with the move. I have a lager (Marzen-style) that will finish lagering soon and I would love to have it all gone at the party (normal, 5 gallon batch). My first thought was a "cask-ale" method, but I'm worried about carbonation levels and temperatures.

Is the following plan feasible?
1. Get a cooler with a screw on top and carbonate the lager in that as if it were one big bottle (use DME/fresh yeast, proper carbonation temps/CO2 pressure estimates).
2. Wait 3 weeks for full carbonation
3. Serve from the cooler using the spigot/gravity to fill the cups (enough people will be there that getting rid of 5 gallons will be no problem)

Are there any unforeseen problems with this method? Other recommendations?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

There's no way a screw top cooler is going to be anywhere near airtight enough to hold pressure adequate to carbonate a beer.

Sorry bout that.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

Spend $25 bucks on a single corny keg, a gas out post, six feet of hose, and a cobra/picnic tap... It'll get you started on your way to kegging and it will actually work. That cooler will never hold pressure. Just put your sugar in the keg like one big bottle. Then give it an ice bath in a trash can or whatever when you want to serve.

What's tappening? :D

Last edited by eschatz; 04-19-2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: EDIT: hose length

Old 04-19-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschatz View Post
Spend $25 bucks on a single corny keg, a gas out post, six feet of hose, and a cobra/picnic tap... It'll get you started on your way to kegging and it will actually work. That cooler will never hold pressure. Just put your sugar in the keg like one big bottle. Then give it an ice bath in a trash can or whatever when you want to serve.
ANd can't you use a small co2 paintball charger that would work with this setup?

THe other option would be a Pressure Barrell, they are a big homebrewing thing in England..you may be able to ebay one in the states...

Like this King Keg Top Tap Pressure Barrel - Home Brewing

Or this style, which looks like you would use sugar and prime...Young's Brew Pressure Barrel 5 Gallon at Wilkinson Plus

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
JumboBlimpJumbo
Recipes 

if you're going for cheap and easy just use a handful of 2 or 3 liter plastic soda bottles.... for a 5 gallon batch that's just over 6 - 3 liter bottles or 9 - 2 liter bottles and they can definitely hold the pressure.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Tap a Draft system.

or a used corny and $20 for a portable dispenser using small co2 cartridges.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply