Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Older faucet shanks - parts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #1
hipjimmer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Older faucet shanks - parts?

I've got some old shanks in a four tap mushroom. These are smaller .5in OD shanks. These shanks take a straight brass tailpiece that goes through a rubber tapered grommet. When the nut slips over the tailpiece and threaded to the shank the rubber is drawn into the shanks sealing it. The rubber is getting a bit ratty. Given the nature of this rubber I would like a source for parts as keeping that all sanitary isn't as easy as the newer all stainless stuff. Anyone seen these and have parts sources?

I've tried all the usual including mcmaster and chi to no avail.

Do I attempt drilling it out and putting in all new?

Also, I'm all set for nitro on the one line and concerned that the higher pressure may be an issue as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:24 AM   #2
hipjimmer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

So here I am talking to myself. Lonely in this thread.

But for those of you that have these types of shanks, turns out their threads must be metric. NPT, compression, etc. all don't work.

So I noodled around the HW store and it dawned on me. If a standard water faucet utilizes a beveled washer (and can hold up to 60PSI) lets try that.

It was hard getting the washer over the tailpiece but that was good since you don't want a leak there either. So now instead of the original washer being like a grommet and being inserted into the cavity of the shank, I have a beveled washer pushing against the outside of that shank. Tighten the nut and no leaks. And an endless supply of cheap parts.

Again, just documenting for someone else...

Old 04-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
jekeane
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 33

It seems your journey has carried you to places you did not wish to go... Sorry. Is the gray grommet here what you needed? http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=376_17_46_4 26&products_id=630&number_of_uploads=0

I looked for this for awhile... Now Im looking for and older brass faucet collar... seems all the newer ones are 1 inch and mine ar 7/8

Fermenter 1: Dark "Cherry" Tower Graf
Fermenter 2: Brandon o's graf
Fermenter 3:

On Deck:

Kegs:
Belgian Dubbel "Le Petite Orange"
Session Belgian Pale Ale (Saccharomyces)
Belgian IIPA
Brandon O's Graff
Rye Bourbon Oak Porter
Good Measure(Raspberry Jalapeño Wheat)

Quick Reply