Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Oh god.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #11
ChandlerBang
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
40 bottles in two hours? You are doing something wrong. I de-label and clean up probably 15 at a time in about 10 minutes. The key is to soak them for a day to loosen the labels. Works very well with minimal work. Trying to rush it defeats the purpose of soaking in oxiclean.
This. I've used bleach and oxyclean. I prefer oxy. But I let them go for a couple days. Then rinse and peel labels. after that amount of time most of the labels are already off laying in the water. The rest come right off no problem and a blue scrubby under running water gets the glue off really easy. At this point, if any labels are still stuck on good they meet the trash can.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3209 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittingglass View Post
Well, there's the problem. I soaked them for about an hour, I was scared of getting the dreaded OxiClean residue and had read an hour was sufficient.
Even if you have really hard water which results in the deposits from a long soak time, a quick rinse with anything slightly acidic will take it right off. If you use star-san to sanitize, that'll do the trick.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 10-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
Mumbly
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I bought myself a big plastic tub from wal-mart for $5, a healthy amount of oxy, the tub can fit about 60 bottles, let them soak 24-48, possibly 96 hours (depends on how lazy I am) very rarely will I have any residual glue. A rinse from a bottle rinser, hang on the tree to dry. Less then an hour of total work for enough bottles for a 5 gallon batch of beer.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
skiingimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I use a two bucket system for cleaning bottles. oxyclean, and they can just stay in there for as long as they need to, at least overnight. From there I pull them out, usually the labels and most of the glue just falls right off, and I rinse the bottle once real quick just to get as much residue as possible off. Then they go into bucket #2 which is filled with a vinegar and water solution. Star San works, but I use vinegar because I think it might be cheaper. (I could be wrong about this).

Once the oxy bucket is empty and the acid bucket is full, I put dirty bottles back into it, and empty and rinse the bottles in the acid bucket. When it's time to bottle, I squirt star san into each bucket, and right in with the beer.

I reuse the oxy repeatedly, it gets kind of nasty, but I don't care.

When the acid bucket starts to get slimy from the oxy residue, I either add more vinegar or completely replace the solution. From what I can tell, it's the ph that breaks down the oxy residue. That's why I try to rinse at least a little bit of oxy off before they go into the acid bucket.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #15
spittingglass
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingimpy
I use a two bucket system for cleaning bottles. oxyclean, and they can just stay in there for as long as they need to, at least overnight. From there I pull them out, usually the labels and most of the glue just falls right off, and I rinse the bottle once real quick just to get as much residue as possible off. Then they go into bucket #2 which is filled with a vinegar and water solution. Star San works, but I use vinegar because I think it might be cheaper. (I could be wrong about this).

Once the oxy bucket is empty and the acid bucket is full, I put dirty bottles back into it, and empty and rinse the bottles in the acid bucket. When it's time to bottle, I squirt star san into each bucket, and right in with the beer.

I reuse the oxy repeatedly, it gets kind of nasty, but I don't care.

When the acid bucket starts to get slimy from the oxy residue, I either add more vinegar or completely replace the solution. From what I can tell, it's the ph that breaks down the oxy residue. That's why I try to rinse at least a little bit of oxy off before they go into the acid bucket.
I think I may adopt a system like this if I don't just buy new bottles every time. I'm not as pissed as I was last night, so I can think about it rationally now and this makes sense. I will definitely let the bottles soak for a longer period of time should I go the bottle cleaning route again.

Girlfriend's on her way over right now to help me bottle, and soon I will be drinking My Precious.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #16
bwirthlin
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts

On the plus side once you get the labels off you'll never have to worry about getting them off again. Unless you decide to label your own beer in which case some masking tape and a sharpie works great for that. The sanitizing is the easy part.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
spittingglass
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwirthlin
On the plus side once you get the labels off you'll never have to worry about getting them off again. Unless you decide to label your own beer in which case some masking tape and a sharpie works great for that. The sanitizing is the easy part.
I'm not going to label this batch, but I will have to with the next (that I'm going to brew today). I'm going to split the batch into two fermenters and pitch a different yeast in each, so labeling that batch will be necessary to differentiate between the two yeast strands.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I use the bathtub and oxyclean. Fill it up and add a bunch of oxyclean, dump all bottles in, submerge them all, leave for 2 hours or more. Just do it before you go to work or take a nap or something. Drain, labels will fall off. It takes about 5 seconds to scrub the remaining glue off.

Some labels will not come off with oxyclean. The plasticy ones will need to be peeled off and will leave near impossible to remove glue on the bottles. It's not hard. You're either not using enough oxyclean or not soaking long enough.

Fermenter 4: Beer

Old 10-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittingglass View Post
I will definitely let the bottles soak for a longer period of time should I go the bottle cleaning route again.Some labels (specifically Bell's Two Hearted Ale, Magic Hat, Flying Dog) came off smooth like butter, but the Loose Cannon/Rogue labels clung as if they were attached by the personally preferred adhesive of The Lord Almighty Himself.

Spittin you were closer to the answer in your first post. Anyone who has labels fall right off have never dealt with pressure applied labels. Yes the cold glued bottle labels will come right off. The pressure applied will not except with a lot of effort, and the glue, after you finally get the label off, will still require using an oil or something. Best thing is to avoid the pressure applied labels. More soaking is not the answer. Look at the thread #10 in the above posts. Add to the list when you come across something difficult. The basic history of bottle labels is that before the no deposit bottles everyone used cold glued labels because it was easy to wash off the labels and reuse the bottles. Now they don't reuse bottles so some bottlers switched to pressure sensitive because of cost and ease of use.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Old 10-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #20
Doongie
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay

Ah. I also rinse bottles with hot water immediately after pouring, so a shot of sanitizer immediately before filling is all I really have to worry about.
I've been doing that as well, but I am not always the one rinsing, and I have a fair number of my bottles that now have a slight ring around the bottom on the inside where the sediment was. If I had to compare it to something, it would be more like a light film like soap residue in the shower, rather than the gunk you find around the top of a carboy. I notice it, but not everyone can even see it (I think they need glasses or are just not as attentive as I am). I have used them in this condition, but I fear it is not good practice.

I am thinking about mixing up a batch of PBW and filling a couple oz in each bottle, and that seems easier than a trashcan full of mix and bottles, but it still seems like it will be quite a PITA...

Anyone got any better (read easier, quicker, more effective) methods???

I do want to keep clean bottles, but I am generally lazy and at least try to find the easiest way to do something.

Quick Reply