Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > odd taste in two kegs, i think i over carbed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
liebertron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default odd taste in two kegs, i think i over carbed?

I have two kegs that I carbed at the same time but believe I over carbed the beer. The beer certainly looks over carbed when I pour it, but it also has a metallic taste to it, and isnt that good. Both kegs have the same flavor and did not have the flavor before kegging, they tasted just fine then. Could over carb make this taste? Going to degas the beer, but would like some feedback.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Could be the carbonic acid bite, which many people describe as a metallic taste. More carbonic acid is created when the beer is burst carbed and/or overcarbed. It should fade over time.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 02-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
liebertron
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Could be the carbonic acid bite, which many people describe as a metallic taste. More carbonic acid is created when the beer is burst carbed and/or overcarbed. It should fade over time.
Do you know how much time? And should I be degassing the beer as I go?

Old 02-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
Cbaddad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 57

How long has it been kegged? If only a week or so, that is probably it. i would try degassing a bit and then just waiting. Also, how long since you brewed it? It could be a bit green too, combined with overcarbonation. I get a distinct bite from my kegged beers when they are young and just carbonating up.

Lastly, was this the first pint or two? If so, the last bit of the yeast or hops that have fallen out could be giving it an odd taste. I bet it tastes better in a couple of days.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebertron View Post
I have two kegs that I carbed at the same time but believe I over carbed the beer. The beer certainly looks over carbed when I pour it, but it also has a metallic taste to it, and isnt that good. Both kegs have the same flavor and did not have the flavor before kegging, they tasted just fine then. Could over carb make this taste? Going to degas the beer, but would like some feedback.
Most likely so - "Metallic Taste" is a symptom of over-carbonated beer.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
liebertron
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaddad View Post
How long has it been kegged? If only a week or so, that is probably it. i would try degassing a bit and then just waiting. Also, how long since you brewed it? It could be a bit green too, combined with overcarbonation. I get a distinct bite from my kegged beers when they are young and just carbonating up.

Lastly, was this the first pint or two? If so, the last bit of the yeast or hops that have fallen out could be giving it an odd taste. I bet it tastes better in a couple of days.
Spent 1 week in primary, 3 weeks in secondary and 1 week cold crashing in the kegerator. Was the first couple of glasses, I do think its the carb bite people have discussed.

Quick Reply