oak cubes in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungry4hops

Hop to it!
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity can you put an oak cube into a bottle when bottling? I was thinking of bottling a beer I have into 22oz bottles and putting a cube into each one and drinking one every couple months just for fun!

It is very easy to over oak a beer. And the cure is to let is sit away from the oak for weeks, months or even years to let it fade to an acceptable level where it doesn't make you want to pucker with each sip.....The trouble with doing it in the bottle is that it will never fade, since it won't get to peak and fade away.

I think the idea is interesting, but the generally recommended amount per 5 gallons is pretty small - less than 3 oz.

I think you'd easily overshoot that mark by dropping a cube in every single bottle.

It'll still be beer though, I would probably be impulsive enough to try it with some used cubes or something... (provided I was very careful about harvesting and keeping them sanitary)

[edit] I also might only experiment with, say, half my batch. That way I might be able to blend an overoaked bottle with an unoaked bottle in the glass, if disaster were to strike.

Back