Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Nothing but head.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
TxBrewHouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Nothing but head.

My beer is serving up nothing but head. I'm using anywhere from 2 to 8 psi with 5 foot of 3/8 line. Right now I'm using a picnic tap. I haven't hooked up my perlicks yet. The beer serves super fast and all head. Where should I start

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 77

What temperature is the beer at, how many volumes of co2? if possible hold the tap as high as possible.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:21 AM   #3
Wild Duk
Recipes 

Should be 3/16 ID line. 5 feet is ok but a little longer would slow it down even more. But if you are truly using 3/8 line it's way to big.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #4
TxBrewHouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry your correct. It's 3/16 line. Beer is at 40 F. Has been since I let it sit to clear up. Most are at 2.5 units. I know it's a distribution problem because I tried sampling a pale ale that was kegged 48 hours ago and has virtually no carbonation and it served up fast and foamy

Old 10-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Wild Duk
Recipes 

What kind of regulator do you have. Old or new its possible that the gauge is bad. I would try 10' of beer line and shorten till you get the pour right.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
TxBrewHouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can't remember the brand of regulator. It's brand new dual reg. one goes to a 5way manifold for carbing. And the other to a 3 way for whatever else. Ill try the ten foot line. If that works I just want to know why most people can get away with a five foot line and higher pressure and I have to go longer

Old 10-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #7
TxBrewHouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I figured it out. As bad as I don't want to admit it. I went to a ten foot hose and that didn't help. Turns out I over carbed 10 kegs. I used burst carbing and know I over did it. But the other I did 30 psi for 24 hrs then 20 psi for 24 hrs then 12 for 24 hrs. And it all was too much. I have 3 of them under control. All the brew was at 40 deg. I have to fine tune my skills I guess. Any tips or suggestions

Old 10-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #8
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Well at least you know now! What temp was the beer when you first put it on gas? I find if I have a 70* keg that I place in my fridge I can go about 36-48 hours at 30 psi, after which I purge and back it down to server at like 12-13psi range. Drinkable in 4-5 days. I do this when I have to, but once you get the pipeline going you can set and forget...speaking of a pipeline 10 KEGS>????? haha

Old 10-20-2012, 02:55 AM   #9
TxBrewHouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd
Well at least you know now! What temp was the beer when you first put it on gas? I find if I have a 70* keg that I place in my fridge I can go about 36-48 hours at 30 psi, after which I purge and back it down to server at like 12-13psi range. Drinkable in 4-5 days. I do this when I have to, but once you get the pipeline going you can set and forget...speaking of a pipeline 10 KEGS>????? haha
All our beer is at 40 deg after fermenting is complete, from secondary to kegging or bottling. We do ten gallon batches. We are brewing a milk stout and a porter this weekend. We have 110 Cuft of refrigeration room. 25 carboys and buckets. 20 total kegs. And 4,000 bottles. I'm building two keezers this weekend.

So at 40F what pressure and time period do you think I should try this next go around.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:57 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4772 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrewHouse View Post
All our beer is at 40 deg after fermenting is complete, from secondary to kegging or bottling. We do ten gallon batches. We are brewing a milk stout and a porter this weekend. We have 110 Cuft of refrigeration room. 25 carboys and buckets. 20 total kegs. And 4,000 bottles. I'm building two keezers this weekend.

So at 40F what pressure and time period do you think I should try this next go around.
AT 40 degrees, 12 psi is about right. That would be permanently- set it at 12 psi and walk away.

If you feel that you have to rush, you could set the regulator at 30 psi for 24 hours, and then purge and reset it to 12 psi. The beer would be ready in a couple of days that way.

Quick Reply