Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Nothing but foam and I can't figure out why

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
ThorGodOfThunder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 13 Posts

Default Nothing but foam and I can't figure out why

I have a keg of cider that dispenses nothing but foam. The pressure is set at 12psi and I have 13 feet of 1/4" line that is supposed to balance out 0.85psi per foot, or ~11psi. I have the keg about 2 feet below the spout. Every pour is nothing but foam, and it looks like it is starting in the lines. I tried lowering the serving pressure all the way down to 3psi and I still got a foamy mess.

What am I doing wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorGodOfThunder View Post
1/4" line
Those calculators don't seem to work in "real world" issues. I can tell you from experience that the issue is right there where I "quoted" you. Switch to the same length of 3/16" line, and you'll be all set.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
Pivovar_Koucky
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sounds like it's overcarbed to me, if it's overcarbed you are going to get a ton of foam regardless of what the pressure drop in the line is. I think 12 psi is probably too much CO2 to put on it. If you can still push it out with 3 psi, try lowering the pressure to like 7-8 psi and waiting a few days.

If you can't push it through the lines with a lower pressure, you might have to get mixed gas (N2/CO2) which is what they do in a lot of bars.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I agree with Yooper about the beer line. Were there bubbles forming in the line at 12 psi, or just when you turned the pressure down? If that was happening at 12 psi, then the cider is also overcarbed.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivovar_Koucky View Post
I think 12 psi is probably too much CO2 to put on it. If you can still push it out with 3 psi, try lowering the pressure to like 7-8 psi and waiting a few days.
Ciders typically have med-high carb levels, so 12 psi seems perfectly reasonable to me, especially if it's not being stored ice cold. I keep all of my beer at 12 psi and 41°, which equates to only 2.4 vol. If it is overbarbed, just reducing the pressure won't help. It needs to be repeatedly vented so that the excess gas has somewhere to go.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 11-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
nosmokingbandit
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Those calculators don't seem to work in "real world" issues. I can tell you from experience that the issue is right there where I "quoted" you. Switch to the same length of 3/16" line, and you'll be all set.
I think I have some 3/16 line around here somewhere... But my corny keg out adapter has a 1/4 barb on it, and it was tight getting my 1/4 line on. Theres no way I can get 3/16 on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Ciders typically have med-high carb levels, so 12 psi seems perfectly reasonable to me, especially if it's not being stored ice cold. I keep all of my beer at 12 psi and 41°, which equates to only 2.4 vol. If it is overbarbed, just reducing the pressure won't help. It needs to be repeatedly vented so that the excess gas has somewhere to go.
I think my fridge is a little over freezing, so i'd guess ~35 F. I've read that ciders are often carbonated more than other drinks, but 2.4 sounds rather average. I suppose I can try it.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Another question is.. what kind of faucet are you using? Party tap or commercial Perlick type? Not sure that makes any difference if carbed properly.. but.. if you don't hold the faucet fully open.. vs just cracking it.. you will get a lot of foam/head.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
nosmokingbandit
Recipes 

Its completely open when I pour, its just a mess.

I burped my keg and dropped the pressure to ~7psi. The weird thing is that a large amount of CO2 bubbled into the keg (it was on its side) when I did this. It sounded like it does when you just start carbonating. I'm kind of really confused. It shouldn't be absorbing co2 at that pressure unless it was terribly under-carbed to begin with.

According to the kegerator chart, I should have about 2.6 vols in this cider. I carbonated it at room temperature because I have limited fridge space. At 65F I put about 28psi on the keg and shook it like a crying baby for about 10 minutes total. At that point the co2 stopped bubbling into the keg. I let it sit with pressure on for a few days, then disconnected and moved to my fridge. After a few days I released the pressure in the keg, hooked up my tank at ~12psi, and attempted to dispense.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmokingbandit View Post
Its completely open when I pour, its just a mess.

I burped my keg and dropped the pressure to ~7psi. The weird thing is that a large amount of CO2 bubbled into the keg (it was on its side) when I did this. It sounded like it does when you just start carbonating. I'm kind of really confused. It shouldn't be absorbing co2 at that pressure unless it was terribly under-carbed to begin with.

According to the kegerator chart, I should have about 2.6 vols in this cider. I carbonated it at room temperature because I have limited fridge space. At 65F I put about 28psi on the keg and shook it like a crying baby for about 10 minutes total. At that point the co2 stopped bubbling into the keg. I let it sit with pressure on for a few days, then disconnected and moved to my fridge. After a few days I released the pressure in the keg, hooked up my tank at ~12psi, and attempted to dispense.
What do you mean it's on its side?

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Heat up the tubing a little bit (heat gun or boiling water), it'll go right over that barb.

Quick Reply