Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Not-priming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
strangecarr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Not-priming

Does anyone here not prime beer before bottling?

I ruined a batch recently by over-priming; I will bottle again at the weekend and will not add anything to the beer. I think the beer will still be carbonated.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Big10Seaner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

How much did you use for 5 gallons? It's pretty hard to over prime if you use 3/4 cup of corn sugar for 5 gallons. You're going to be very disappointed if you don't prime before bottling.

End of the Line Brewing
Primary: Caramel Cider
Secondary: Bourbon Vanilla Porter
On tap: Some Sort of IPA, Cherry Cider
Bottled: Belgian Sour (1st place winner Binny's Chicago Comp)

Old 07-31-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1079 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Why do you think it will still carb with no priming? If it does, it means it wasn't fermented all the way in the first place. You probably just rushed the beer into the bottles. How long did you leave it in the primary fermenter? If it's less than two weeks, you're in dangerous territory.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Priming is something I've been giving some thought to lately. As a fan of styles indiginous to the British Isles it's important not to over carb. So far so good. For my ales I'm usually putting in a couple of tablespoons more than 1/2 cup to carb 5 gallons.

Here's some useful info:

http://byo.com/referenceguide/primingchart/

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 07-31-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
strangecarr
Recipes 

Thanks for your replies. I left the beer in primary for 10 days.

My thinking was this, the beer has CO2 dissolved in it and there is probably some sugar left in the beer that the yeast will ferment to create some more. Also I thought that the action of bottling will agitate the already dissolved CO2 to come out of solution causing a vapor pressure inside the bottle.

Whenever I take hydrometer readings in the trial jar, the beer always looks carbonated.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4959 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangecarr View Post
Thanks for your replies. I left the beer in primary for 10 days.

My thinking was this, the beer has CO2 dissolved in it and there is probably some sugar left in the beer that the yeast will ferment to create some more. Also I thought that the action of bottling will agitate the already dissolved CO2 to come out of solution causing a vapor pressure inside the bottle.

Whenever I take hydrometer readings in the trial jar, the beer always looks carbonated.
Well, yes, the beer appears carbonated, especially if it's kept cool in the fermenter. That's why there are priming charts telling you to add less sugar if the beer is under 60 degrees. CO2 tends to remain in solution when the solution is colder.

I think you'll have very flat beer if you don't prime. If the beer is finished (as proven by FG readings) and the yeast have eaten all of the fermentables, the shouldn't be any available sugar for them to ferment. Racking will cause some of the co2 already dissolved in there to come out of solution, as well.

If your beer was overcarbonated last time, either you didn't wait until fermentation finished, or you added too much priming sugar. No other possibilities at all.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply