Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > nOOb bottling questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
cd2448
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default nOOb bottling questions

hi all,

we are just about ready to bottle first batch and i have a couple of dumb noob questions on bottle sanitation: this is described differently everywhere i read it. i have clean bottles ready to go, do i need to soak in sanitation solution then rinse (if using bleach)? or can i simply run the bottles through dishwasher (w/o detergent)? i've seen people use those screw-on bottle washers, but elsewhere i've seen that tap water is risky for rinsing bottles before bottling (although my beer was topped up with tap water - ours is pretty good).

i have a bottling wand thing and that, and the tube and bucket, will all get the bleach + rinse treatment. what to do with bottle caps? put them in the same weak bleach solution and thorough rinse.

tia, chris.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
bazeballdadx
Recipes 

If your sanitation solution is properly mixed (not too weak, not too strong), you shouldn't have to rinse the bottles out before filling with beer. It'll actually say this on the bottle a lot of the time (No Rinse Sanitizer).

I let the caps sit in a bowl of the No Rinse Sanitizer until I bottle each beer.

If you're using a BLEACH solution, there may be an issue with having to rinse to remove the taste & smell... I'm not sure. You may want to do the bleach to *clean* and then rinse, then use the dish washer to sanitize...?

Old 11-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
Trencher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Definitely sanitize the bottles and caps along with the other equipment. Your dishwasher probably won't sanitize, and probably won't get to all the corners of your bottles if it does. Make sure you rinse VERY WELL when using bleach. Better yet, get a no-rinse sanitizer.

One thing to remember though, you now have beer and not wort, so the alcohol content should be enough to ward off most nasties. Don't over-do your sanitation, but don't skip it altogether. RDWHAHB.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, I would sanitize and rinse for sure. You can run them through the dishwasher if there is a heat cycle. However, then your bottles would likely be too hot to handle, and by the time they cooled, they would be at a risk for infection again.

Step a) sanitize with bleach
step b) rinse VERY thoroghly
step c) soak caps in bleach
step d) soak caps in water
step e) buy starsan

Old 11-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the quick feedback. Looks like I just need to stop messing around with bleach and get some starsan or something. Is Iodophor the same kind of thing? I think my LHBS has some of that...

Old 11-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2448
Thanks for the quick feedback. Looks like I just need to stop messing around with bleach and get some starsan or something. Is Iodophor the same kind of thing? I think my LHBS has some of that...

Good idea. Iodophor is the same thing. Happy bottling

What's your hobby Ray? Drinkin. Want a beer Buddy?

Old 11-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

PS - just to answer one of the your other questions dont worry about rinsing your bottles with tap water. I have heard it aid before this can lead to infection - but thats hogwash. I like to torture myself and use a sanitizer on my bottles that i have to rinse - I double rinse in tap water and havent had in infection in over 350 bottles.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
APendejo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

No need to run the dishwasher until you are finished bottling. I fill one side of the kitchen sink with Iodophor solution, dip the bottles in that for a minute or so, drain them, then place the bottles upside down on the dishwasher rack. I place my bottling bucket above the dishwasher, pull up a chair and use the dishwasher door as my work bench. Place some newspaper on the floor to catch any spillage. When you are done just close the door and turn the dishwasher on to clean up your mess.
I sanitize the caps in a little bowl of Iodophor then drain right before capping.
AP

Old 11-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by APendejo
No need to run the dishwasher until you are finished bottling. I fill one side of the kitchen sink with Iodophor solution, dip the bottles in that for a minute or so, drain them, then place the bottles upside down on the dishwasher rack. I place my bottling bucket above the dishwasher, pull up a chair and use the dishwasher door as my work bench. Place some newspaper on the floor to catch any spillage. When you are done just close the door and turn the dishwasher on to clean up your mess.
I sanitize the caps in a little bowl of Iodophor then drain right before capping.
AP
Very similar to what I do, except I use a bottle tree and a vinator. (http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/4,9206.htm)

Old 11-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #10
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

These sanitizers - is it really only a HBS that's going to stock them? I looked in our local pharmacy (CVS) this morning and they didn't have it - but if I could save 1hr+ on a run to the LHBS I'd be pretty pleased...

Quick Reply