Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > "No Refill" Bottles - Can I use them?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
jdubb75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default "No Refill" Bottles - Can I use them?

I am getting ready to bottle my first brew and have been soaking bottles to remove labels. As I was putting some on the drying rack today, I noticed some of the bottles had "No Refill" cast into them around the very bottom. I'm not sure exactly what brewery these came from because the labels are gone. However, I do have some fresh empties from Three Floyds and noticed they also have "No Refill" cast into them around the bottom, but the bottles I have from Pete's only have some small bumps cast into them around the bottom.

These are all pry off cap bottles from micro/craft breweries, but some have "no refill" cast into them and some do not. Is it safe to use the bottles with the "no refill" markings or do I need to source some bottles quickly? I will be bottling in 4-5 days and need to figure this out as quickly as possible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Wakadaka
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

My guess is that they are trying to do some old school design and say that you can't bring the bottle back and expect them to fill it up with beer.

From what I have read most bottles will work fine if they originally had a carbonated beverage inside of them.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
ajbroe
Recipes 

I think the "No Refill" bottles are thinner, lighter and less durable. I have a bunch as well, having just noticed the markings. I've stopped using them since I had the bottom sheer off a few in a case, spilling beer all over the floor and ruining the case.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakadaka View Post
My guess is that they are trying to do some old school design and say that you can't bring the bottle back and expect them to fill it up with beer.

From what I have read most bottles will work fine if they originally had a carbonated beverage inside of them.
Could be the brewery builds the cost of each new bottle into the price and uses only new bottles on the line. Saves a lot of added work as far as returns, storage, handling, cleaning and sanitizing. New bottles are cheaper in many cases than having them returned from great distances.

OMO

bosco

Quick Reply