No more glass!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike37

Reaction score
Sorry but I have to vent and complain. This morning's bottling session had a few screw ups that have made me decide to bottle in plastic. First, I should mention I received four cases of 12oz long necks from my wife's uncle, who brews as well. I'm down to about three cases now due to breakage and people not returning bottles.

So what happened this morning? I lost five more bottles. Yes, they were all filled with beer. One broke under capping and four broke due to a chain reaction from the dog hitting just one with her tail. Very lucky she, myself, or my kid weren't cut.

If I had a steady stream coming in, I wouldn't mind so much. Unfortunately that's not the case. For some reason pop off bottles are so hard for me to acquire. I've been asking people for pop top bottles and all I get are twist offs. There's no recycling center within a reasonable drive, and I refuse to pay for bottles.

It's a good thing we drink a lot of Pepsi. My wife is going to start buying the 24oz bottles and I'm really excited to get an easier bottling day!

I feel much better now, thank you. :)

It's a good thing we drink a lot of Pepsi. My wife is going to start buying the 24oz bottles and I'm really excited to get an easier bottling day!

I feel much better now, thank you. :)

Aren't those clear (see through)? I would think you would want something dark in color like the plastic ones they send with the Mr. Beer kit. Or, are you just going to keep them in a dark closet?

Well that's just sad stuff right there.

Where are you located? I still have a collection of clean brown 12oz long necks I doubt I'll ever use again, you're welcome to a few cases if you can come get 'em...

Cheers!

Yeah they're clear, but I'll keep them in a closet until I want to fridge one. That's the only drawback. Small price to pay to not have to worry about glass. I could wrap them in something, I suppose. Or maybe paint them, although I'd want to make sure it's safe.

day_trippr, thanks for the offer. I live near Pittsburgh but I travel occasionally for work. I'll hit you up if I'm ever in MD.

I have never used glass, same reason. NA around here unless I dumpster dive :)
Buying glass bottles with or without beer is not for me.
PET bottles work great for me for the past 1.5 years. I also drink the Miller Lite in plastic when I go on trail rides with my horse. Plastic 16 oz PET bottles work great. No cans to trash and no glass to break. Cleanup and bring home to refill. I have about 4 - 12 ct cases.
You can get 8 - 32 oz MRB bottles on ebay and or amazon for around $16 free ship.

I am not sure if there is a spray paint that would work with the clear pet soda bottles. Suspect it work crack off or damage the plastic. Maybe dark HD paper rolled and taped like a sleeve around the bottle would work OK??

Caps are good for about 3 to 5 times.

Yeah they're clear, but I'll keep them in a closet until I want to fridge one. That's the only drawback. Small price to pay to not have to worry about glass. I could wrap them in something, I suppose. Or maybe paint them, although I'd want to make sure it's safe.

day_trippr, thanks for the offer. I live near Pittsburgh but I travel occasionally for work. I'll hit you up if I'm ever in MD.

Hi

About three hours east of you bottles aren't all that hard to come by. Strange the way things work. Just tossed a few because they were piling up...

Bob

vmaxept said:
I am not sure if there is a spray paint that would work with the clear pet soda bottles. Suspect it work crack off or damage the plastic. Maybe dark HD paper rolled and taped like a sleeve around the bottle would work OK??

If the OP is concerned with light stalage, wrap the bottles in duct tape. That won't crack or damage the plastic. :)

Thanks for all the tips and offers for bottles. I think it says so much about people here when a guy complains about being low on bottles and people come out of the woodwork to offer extras.

Back