The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > No More Bottles!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2005, 02:35 AM   #11
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You mean how I did the conversion? Not much to see, but I'll post some pics if you want.

I ordered this: http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...its/shtk.shtml

But, I called them up and had them put in a dual-faucet tower and a regulator with two outputs. I ordered mine with the 5lb tank.

Basically all you have to do is drill a hole (1 1/2" to 3") in the top of your fridge to accomodate your beer lines, and mount the tower on top of it. The rest is just connecting the lines up.

Exercise extreme caution when drilling your fridge. I know for a fact the the 4912 has a freon line in the top about 7" from the back. It runs all the way across.

Gone unsung for far too long

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2005, 03:12 AM   #12
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

My wife is talking about finishing our basement over winter while she's recovering from delivering our first-born.

We spent the past couple of weekends out furniture shopping. While we looked around, she pointed out a few bars for the basement. She even asked me if any of them would be conducive to kegging beers and suggested maybe we build an in-wall system.

If only we weren't moving in a few years. If only this was our "forever" home. Still, it's nice that she's starting to support my new hobby.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:59 PM   #13
hodgepodge
Recipes 

Just one freon line?? I'm looking at doing me up one of these bad boys, don't want to kill it. Where abouts did you drill your hole. Thanks

Old 08-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #14
kilroy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Pictures -
Please let us have pics.

Thanks
Kilroy

Primary:
Nothing - Out of room - have to bottle something before I can fit more on the aging shelf.

Secondary:
Lost count, too many damn carboys

Old 08-08-2005, 08:41 PM   #15
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgepodge
Just one freon line?? I'm looking at doing me up one of these bad boys, don't want to kill it. Where abouts did you drill your hole. Thanks
Yes only one line in the top. The other sides, I can't account for. The line runs across the top, about 7" from the back edge. I drilled mine about 1/2" toward the front from dead center.

I'll post some pics soon, but theres not much to see. It's a little fridge with a draught tower on it.
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 08-18-2005, 03:56 AM   #16
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just converted a Sanyo 4912 last night and it turned out great. Here is the link to my pictures: Sanyo 4912

For the freon line, I smeared water all over the top of the fridge, plugged it in, and watched for a line of water to evaporate. I marked it with masking tape and measured the center of the top to the line and had about 4 1/2 to 5 inches, so I knew I was okay to put the tower dead center.

Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Old 08-18-2005, 09:09 AM   #17
wild
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Good job Tony! The setup looks great and the pics were nice. What are your inaugural brews going to be?

Wild

3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 08-18-2005, 03:44 PM   #18
kneemoe
Recipes 

ok, so maybe i'm just cheap lol

i ripped apart an old fridge that was being thrown out here in albany and kept everything together, ie. didn't disconnect *any* lines except the power. so i ended up with the compressor, radiator thinger from the back and the cooling unit which was an alum. sheet with the freon line affixed to it
then i found myself an old metal kitchen 'cabinet'/mini-pantry thing-a-ma-jig that was being tossed from the school i work in, gutted that and lined it with 3mil plastic, then 1" thick house foam insulation then more plastic and dropped in a tupperware style bottom ('custom' made with a dremel and some patience)
got some hardwood panelling from lowe's and used the same top material i had used to make my mini bar top, so it all matches nice.

total spent ~ $60 to make things look nice, not including the corny keg stuff obviously
just thought i'd throw that out there for other folks that cant have a nice, new fridge to work with (mine was a full sized giant from the 70's, *nasty* both inside and out)

Old 08-18-2005, 09:36 PM   #19
Born Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Very nice Tony. Pics were very helpful to walk us through the process. You make it look very easy to do.

Primary :empty
Secondary : empty
KEG: empty

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:49 PM   #20
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild
Good job Tony! The setup looks great and the pics were nice. What are your inaugural brews going to be?

Wild
I made my "Pawtucket Patriot" last night, an American Pale ale and i'm getting ready right now to make a Shipyard Export clone.
Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Quick Reply