New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > no gravity reading when to bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
i4ourgot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default no gravity reading when to bottle

My buddy not on HBT just asked me when to bottle his beer. Its sitting in 65F temps and he only has one carboy so he wants to bottle from the carboy and he brewed a pale ale. I have been kegging for to long and don't know what to tell him without a gravity reading. Its in a carboy and right now it is at high Krausen. Also how much priming sugar should he add and should he cold crash before he bottles or would this make the yeast fall asleep and not carbonate the bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
501irishred

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

??? Gravity readings should be the same to keg as they are to bottle... You should make sure FG has been reached in either case. It is possible, but definitely not the easiest or preferable method to bottle from a primary fermenter. To do so, he will need to add his priming sugar directly to the bottles and not the carboy. He can cold crash for 24 to 48 hours to clear the beer as well as firm up the trub/yeast cake without worries.
If it was my friend, I would first tell him to take gravity readings several days apart to make sure FG has been reached, then go buy a bucket ($5 from HD if a 5gal would be enough for him).

Old 01-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 176

The yeast cake hasn't droped so it's in the first week or stalled. Tell him to bring it inside and wait two weeks. check the FG and make sure it has about bottomed out over 3 days.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #4
i4ourgot
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

sorry he doesn't have a SG or a hyrdometer

Old 01-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
GilSwillBasementBrews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Well FG wouldn't matter if he had an sg or not.
You'd only need the SG if you wanted to figure out ABV or efficiency.
I'd recommend him getting a hydrometer. But that being said without one I'd wait at least 3weeks probably 4 if I didn't have a hydrometer to make sure I wasn't making bottle bombs. And even then I think I'd break down and get a hydrometer to BE sure it was done fermenting. I rather spend a few bucks than worry about glass shrapnel flying around my basement. As for how much sugar when I bottled I think I used a sugar cube per 16oz bottle with good results. Ideally he'd want to batch prime but with only the one vessel he won't want to stir in the sugar mixture as that would stir up the yeast/trub on the bottom of the fermenter.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #6
i4ourgot
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

nice thanks man sounds good

Quick Reply