Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > No carbination

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
piperdown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No carbination

I've never had this happen before so I'm rather puzzled. I bottled/kegged up a nice ABA three weeks ago. I get a small puff of CO2 when i pop a bottle to test but there is no carbination! Used priming sugar (had some opened and didn't feel like opening my 3lb bag of DME) in the bottling bucket, gently stirred to mix and half bottled/kegged.

I haven't tried the kegged one yet. I can always force carbinate if needed but I'm really puzzled about the bottles. This is probably around my 60th batch and I've never had this happen. Yeast formed in the bottom of the bottle.

I think I'm going to let it sit for another 3 weeks (I usually test at 2, 3, and 4) so bottle conditioning for a total of 6 weeks and see what happens. If no bubbles are produced I'm thinking of pouring the bottles (gently of course) into a spare keg and force carbing it.

However, any ideas? I used one step for sanitizing and a rinse. I just started using one step. Before that was just bleach and some clean water for rinsing. Could there still be a residue issue?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
dp69_2001
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Maybe try giving them all a gentle shake to get the yeast back in suspension then giving them a few more weeks. My oatmeal stout seems to be having some problems with carbing but they've only been in the bottle for 2 weeks. It also sat in secondary for about 3 weeks. So, i'd imagine the yeasts are a little tired. Maybe with some excitement they'll finish up the job.

Oh yeah, are you familiar with the bar Piper Down in SLC?

Reason: forgot to ask question.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:10 AM   #3
piperdown
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp69_2001 View Post
Maybe try giving them all a gentle shake to get the yeast back in suspension then giving them a few more weeks. My oatmeal stout seems to be having some problems with carbing but they've only been in the bottle for 2 weeks. It also sat in secondary for about 3 weeks. So, i'd imagine the yeasts are a little tired. Maybe with some excitement they'll finish up the job.

Oh yeah, are you familiar with the bar Piper Down in SLC?
It rings a familiar bell but I can't say I've ever been there. I didn't go to SLC that often except to go to Primary Childrens.

Quick Reply