The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > No Beer??

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Gropo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Leavenworth WA
Posts: 139
Default No Beer??

I kegged 2 batches at once last week. I switched the gas back and forth betwinxt the 2 for several days; starting @ 20 psi and dropping to 12. Anyway, I ran outta gas after 3 days (I don't think that I had the regulator tightened enough on the gas bottle). I hooked up a new bottle today, and figured that I'd give each batch a taste test, but I can't get any beer out of either keg..no matter what PSI I apply to the regulator (sorry if this seems noob-ish, but this is my first attempt at kegging). Do I need to give each keg a few days?? Have I clogged the dip tubes with trub - sh*t?? If I pull the pressure relief pin on the top of the keg, it's obviously super-pressurrized. HELP...I wanna taste my beer.

__________________
Gropo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,032
Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Default

What are you using for a tap? Do you get air, or nothing at all, out of both?

You have the gas turned on, and the valves (if you have any) opened, and gas goes into the keg? What about after you open the pressure relief valve- do you hear gas hissing into the kegs?

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
strat_thru_marshall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,679
Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

did you dry hop in your kegs? did you transfer anything into the kegs that could have clogged the diptube?

__________________
strat_thru_marshall is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
Gropo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Leavenworth WA
Posts: 139
Default

Yeah...I hear gas rush into the keg. I got a dirty dribble outta the picnic tap; full of mucky stuff like you'd expect.....then nothing. I ran water from the sink through the open picnic tap, so I know that is not clogged. The 2 batches are very different; one is an IPA that probably has a lot of hop remnants; but the other is a Trippel that was secondaried, and is quite clear. I can't get anything out of either.

__________________
Gropo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,032
Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gropo View Post
Yeah...I hear gas rush into the keg. I got a dirty dribble outta the picnic tap; full of mucky stuff like you'd expect.....then nothing. I ran water from the sink through the open picnic tap, so I know that is not clogged. The 2 batches are very different; one is an IPA that probably has a lot of hop remnants; but the other is a Trippel that was secondaried, and is quite clear. I can't get anything out of either.
Ok, that is really weird. The IPA could be clogged with hops debris, but not the tripel. What I would do now is take off the "out" post on one of the kegs (turn off the gas, and pull the pressure relief valve first. Trust me on this!) Pull out the diptube and hold it up to the light, and push the poppit valve out of the post and see if there is much crud and stuff. If so, you've found the problem.

If not, I'm just not sure what else to try. Make sure your black quick disconnects are snapped down really tight. They should "snap" on well.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 01:12 AM   #6
baybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 27
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

you sure you have the co2 on the inlet and the picnic taps on the outlet?

__________________
baybrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
Gropo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Leavenworth WA
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybrewer View Post
you sure you have the co2 on the inlet and the picnic taps on the outlet?
Yep...sure of that. I'll try Yoopers suggestion. These are old "hand me down" kegs. I thought that I cleaned them rally well with PBW and a dip tube brush, but maybe the poppet valves are clogged?? (although I disassembled and cleaned them well too) F***!!! I really don't want to lose these beers; they both tasted REALLY good coming out of the carboy.
__________________
Gropo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,032
Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gropo View Post
Yep...sure of that. I'll try Yoopers suggestion. These are old "hand me down" kegs. I thought that I cleaned them rally well with PBW and a dip tube brush, but maybe the poppet valves are clogged?? (although I disassembled and cleaned them well too) F***!!! I really don't want to lose these beers; they both tasted REALLY good coming out of the carboy.
Ok, one last wild thought- when you took them apart, is there any chance you mixed up some of the parts? Like, the diptube on the wrong side? That's about all I can think of that would affect both kegs equally.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #9
Gropo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Leavenworth WA
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post
Ok, one last wild thought- when you took them apart, is there any chance you mixed up some of the parts? Like, the diptube on the wrong side? That's about all I can think of that would affect both kegs equally.
Nope....there are on the correct sides. Is it possible that something in the quick connect of the "tap" side is set up incorrectly?? Clogging the release of the beer? I can get water to flow through the hose of the picnic tap, but not through the stubby "quick connect" part.
__________________
Gropo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,032
Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gropo View Post
Nope....there are on the correct sides. Is it possible that something in the quick connect of the "tap" side is set up incorrectly?? Clogging the release of the beer? I can get water to flow through the hose of the picnic tap, but not through the stubby "quick connect" part.
But for both of them? You can try taking apart the black quick disconnect. Do it over a white piece of paper, though- there is a mini, tiny gasket in there that you may never find again (trust me!). There is a slot on top that fits a flat-head screwdriver perfectly. Inside is a plastic pin, a spring, and that little o-ring gasket around the opening.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools