Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Nitro kegging... HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Nitro kegging... HELP!

I'm having some difficulty with serving/kegging my homebrew on Nitro. Heres what I did:

Kegged my oatmeal stout two weeks ago (ball lock corny if that matters). I put my beer gas mixture on the OUT post at 35 PSI.

Unfortunately I ignored it for two weeks and when I went to put it in the kegerator today my beer gas tank was EMPTY!!! Nothing inside. This was a brand new tank, mind you. My keg was pressurized, though. I dont think my keg has a leak but it may. I can check that tomorrow.

Either way, I've read so many conflicting bits of info on this forum (and other sites). Some people say to carb with CO2, serve with beer gas. Others 'carb' with beer gas and serve with beer gas. One thing I read even recommended a carb stone in the keg... not sure how to set that up.

I guess I'm just looking for clarity. What do you do on your set up? What works? What didn't? Tips, tricks?

Thanks for any help... I'm thirsty.

EDIT: I 'carb' at 38F

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3203 Times on 3107 Posts
Likes Given: 18

The choice to carb with beer gas or CO2 is up to you, either work. Most people choose to carb with CO2 because it's much much faster, and CO2 is cheaper than beer gas most places. Using a carb stone is simply a method to carb with beer gas without it taking forever.

The important thing is that you carb it no higher than 1.8 vol, as that's about the limit that most nitro faucets can handle without creating a foamy mess. Most nitro faucets pour best with the pressure in the 25-35 psi range. You may want to play around with the pressure a bit to get it where you want it.

One thing I see a lot of people doing is using beer gas blends too low for their carbonation and serving temperature. Most people are looking for carbonation higher than 1.2 vol, and temps higher than the 35-36° found in commercial systems, and yet use the g-mix (25% CO2) that's designed for those low carb low temperature set-ups.

While it's really forgiving about the serving pressure not being equal to the equilibrium pressure (unlike when serving on 100% CO2), it still helps to be at least close. Here's a handy calculator that can help you determine the best gas blend for your set up. Unfortunately higher CO2 blends can be harder to find.

http://mcdantim.mobi/easypsig.html

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 12-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Super helpful JuanMoore!

So it sounds like I would have more success carbing this at warmer temps with pure CO2. Looking at a carb chart I'd need to have my regulator at around 1 psi to carb at 38.

I think my suppliers beergas co2 concentration is 25% but ill have to double check.

Thanks for the tips!

Quick Reply