Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > NewCastle 5l Mini-Keg re-use?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
Vaureywwc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default NewCastle 5l Mini-Keg re-use?

I would imagine this has been brought up before here, but I couldn't find anything searching through the forum. I know you can reuse these kegs, but I cannot figure out how exactly. I was told the Heiniken kegs work a bit better since apparently they have a port for CO2? I personally cannot bring myself to buy a bottle of heiniken let alone 5 liters and then drink it!

Anyone have any resources that can help? I understand they have about a five use limit? I just cannot find any resources to help with the NewCastle Kegs.

I have also heard Oran Bell's has nice mini-kegs but I'm in the Pacific Northwest (no where near a major city) so the likely hood of me running into one of those mini's is incredibly low!

Thanks guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 12:58 AM   #2
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 209

The only difference between the two should be the label. They are both the Beertender kegs.

Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Old 04-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
Vaureywwc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan View Post
The only difference between the two should be the label. They are both the Beertender kegs.
I see that is the difference now. Apparently in 2008 they had a slight difference and the Heineken mini-kegs sometimes had an external port to attach CO2. It sounds like however through more research I may not be able to use either one of them because of the internal CO2 canister because of sanitation issue. I may experiment with the empty I have and just have to order some mini kegs online?

Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
30Bones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Drill a hole in the top and add a schrader valve, charge it with CO2 once filled and take to the party. I assume you keg, I would not bother charging with CO2. Same as filling a growler

Old 04-19-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
Vaureywwc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Drill a hole in the top and add a schrader valve, charge it with CO2 once filled and take to the party. I assume you keg, I would not bother charging with CO2. Same as filling a growler
They do not have an opening like normal mini-kegs. The area where the bung goes is closed off. It sounds like they were designed differently, even with the internal CO2 tank I would just sanitize the crap out of it.. I think it would honestly be cheaper just to buy minikegs. Figuring $16 + $6-10 shipping. lol

Old 04-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
SmokeyMcBong
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Ive done a bunch of research on these since i bought an Avanti Mini Pub

and it came with 4 empty mini kegs. Midwest has a good selection of accessories for the mini keg systems http://www.midwestsupplies.com/searc...=&q=party+star. Basically, you prime with sugar and let it naturally carbonate. The best mini kegs for re-use are the ones with just a bung hole on top and the gravity spigot at the bottom. Stay away from the ones that have an internal c02 cartridge, they can be re-used but its a pain to clean and sanitize in the little nooks and cranies. I've been getting 5l mini kegs of D.A.B and 3.1l mini kegs of Cool to re-use. Heres a couple of videos on the subject.

-If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it.
-I may not be as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was!
-Not a big fan of beer.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #7
aryoung1980
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the videos. I myself have been thinking about using these for cask conditioning some English Ales

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 04-21-2014, 05:19 AM   #8
Vaureywwc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah unfortunately these are normal mini-kegs and the gravity fed mini-kegs. I'll just shell out the money and just buy some mini's for my 1 gallon batches.

But thanks for the videos they will help when I get my new mini's.

Quick Reply