Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Newbie kegging question need a quick answer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Default Newbie kegging question need a quick answer

Need a quick answer on kegging. I kegged my first beer tonight, borrowing a buddy's setup. I washed the keg inside, rinsed, soaked the lid in star San (with seal removed), put some star San in the keg, put the lid on, shook it for about 29 seconds, dumped out the star San, scooped out most of the foam but left some. Dumped in my priming sugar solution and I then racked my beer in through the large opening. Replaced the lid and connected the co2 line to the in post. Applied gas at 10 psi until I couldn't hear any more gas going in. Picked up the keg and shook a little then removed the gas line.

QUESTION: I realize I just applied co2 to the existing air in the keg. Should I have applied co2 with the release valve open first for about 20 secs and then closed the release valve and continued to fill. After reading it seems like this would have been better so only co2 in the keg. I did this all 2 hours ago, should I go release the pressure now, apply gas with the release valve open to purge out all air the close the release valve and seal with co2? Is it too late now? Not sure if I should go do this now or don't worry about it.

On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1289 Times on 1040 Posts

I'd go flush the air out, so I could relax and not worry about it...

Cheers!

Old 11-13-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Done, better safe than sorry

On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 11-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 55

ermmm, how are you planning on carbonating the beer? Why take the co2 line off?

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
PJM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp
He is naturally carbing with sugar.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp
Added priming sugar, carbing naturally as I would with bottles.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
TheKeggingPart
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Chalk one up to experience. Putting pressure on the keg was a good idea as it sealed the lid. When the yeast start working the priming sugar, you're guaranteed that it'll stay in the keg. Dumping the StarSan and then shaking beer (mixing in the head space) are two places to improve your technique for next time.

I recommend pushing the sanitizer out under pressure. Not only are you filling the keg with gas, you're scrubbing the liquid-out side with the sanitizer. When doing several kegs at once, you can chain them together liquid-out to gas-in (with lid open or pressure relief pulled) to also scrub the gas-in side. Some view this as a waste of gas.

If you do prefer to dump, purging the head space a couple of times will help displace atmosphere with CO2. You'll always have some mixing, but filling and releasing a couple of times won't hurt. Lower pressure in will help reduce mixing as the pure CO2 being introduced will lend to sink with less mixing.

Oxidation takes a little time to develop. If you're drinking the beer sooner rather than later, it likely won't matter. Some people (like me) have a hard time tasting it anyway. Like day_trppr said, do what you can (a couple of head space flushes), relax, and don't worry about it. It'll be what it is and you'll know better for next time.

How much priming sugar did you use? When keg-conditioning, the ratio of volume to head space is much greater than when in bottles. This means that you can use less sugar to get the same carbonation. If it's overcarbonated, just vent & shake it a few times to knock some of the CO2 out of solution.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
HaveADrinkOnMe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How much priming sugar did you use? I just tapped a keg of cream ale that I carbonated with 5 oz of priming sugar, and although I've read on some posts here that you aren't suppose to use the same amount of priming sugar when kegging that you would for bottling, ours turned out fine. Maybe ours was fine because we did a cream ale, I don't know what type you kegged but I would be interested to see how much you used and how it tastes when you tap that baby in about 2-3 weeks.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeggingPart
Chalk one up to experience. Putting pressure on the keg was a good idea as it sealed the lid. When the yeast start working the priming sugar, you're guaranteed that it'll stay in the keg. Dumping the StarSan and then shaking beer (mixing in the head space) are two places to improve your technique for next time.

I recommend pushing the sanitizer out under pressure. Not only are you filling the keg with gas, you're scrubbing the liquid-out side with the sanitizer. When doing several kegs at once, you can chain them together liquid-out to gas-in (with lid open or pressure relief pulled) to also scrub the gas-in side. Some view this as a waste of gas.

If you do prefer to dump, purging the head space a couple of times will help displace atmosphere with CO2. You'll always have some mixing, but filling and releasing a couple of times won't hurt. Lower pressure in will help reduce mixing as the pure CO2 being introduced will lend to sink with less mixing.

Oxidation takes a little time to develop. If you're drinking the beer sooner rather than later, it likely won't matter. Some people (like me) have a hard time tasting it anyway. Like day_trppr said, do what you can (a couple of head space flushes), relax, and don't worry about it. It'll be what it is and you'll know better for next time.

How much priming sugar did you use? When keg-conditioning, the ratio of volume to head space is much greater than when in bottles. This means that you can use less sugar to get the same carbonation. If it's overcarbonated, just vent & shake it a few times to knock some of the CO2 out of solution.
Thanks I realize I should have pushed the star San out now, hopefully enough of it got into the dip tube before I dumped it. I plan on drinking this one pretty fast, especially if it tastes as good as the hydro sample. This is my first all grain batch and is a Sweetwater IPA clone. I've had A LOT of IPAs and sweetwater is one of my top 3.

So next time I will push the star San out and also after I rack my beer in I will hold the release valve open for about 20 secs with gas going in then close the release and let the gas set the seal.

I used 4-4.5 ounces of priming sugar in two cups water. I used a standard 5 oz pack of priming sugar but left a little behind sincere volume was a little under 5 gallons and I also thought if I have carbing issues I can always add more co2.

Question on the shaking, if I push all air out after racking and before setting the seal then hypothetically there's only co2 in the keg, so is gently shaking ok to make sure the keg has accepted all the gas it can before disconnecting?

Old 11-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveADrinkOnMe
How much priming sugar did you use? I just tapped a keg of cream ale that I carbonated with 5 oz of priming sugar, and although I've read on some posts here that you aren't suppose to use the same amount of priming sugar when kegging that you would for bottling, ours turned out fine. Maybe ours was fine because we did a cream ale, I don't know what type you kegged but I would be interested to see how much you used and how it tastes when you tap that baby in about 2-3 weeks.
4-4.5 oz

Quick Reply