The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Newbie kegger lesson learned about sealing corny lids

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 922 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 476

I have this problem with one of my kegs especially. The lid just doesnt sit very tight (i can depress the lid about 1/4 inch when it is closed and not under pressure). I have found that Keg lube and wiggling the lid around while applying pressure allows you to make a better seal. It is my back up, backup keg now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 970 Times on 793 Posts

If one can actually push a keg lid down a quarter inch, either the bail is missing its feet or its legs are wicked splayed, or both.

Honest, a keg in good condition with good o-rings and just a film of keg lube will actually seal without gas pressure. It shouldn't take much effort to figure out what's keeping any keg from latching up nice and tight, and fix same...

Cheers!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #13
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3196 Times on 3101 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
If one can actually push a keg lid down a quarter inch, either the bail is missing its feet or its legs are wicked splayed, or both.

Honest, a keg in good condition with good o-rings and just a film of keg lube will actually seal without gas pressure. It shouldn't take much effort to figure out what's keeping any keg from latching up nice and tight, and fix same...

Cheers!
This.

I've had to bend the feet/bails on a lot of my kegs to get them to seal well. I used to naturally carb kegs in my wood shop, where I didn't have any CO2 to seat the lid. I replaced all the lid o-rings, adjusted all of the feet/bails, and used a little keg lube, and I never had an issue with a keg not sealing even with no pressure.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 08-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 922 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
This.

I've had to bend the feet/bails on a lot of my kegs to get them to seal well. I used to naturally carb kegs in my wood shop, where I didn't have any CO2 to seat the lid. I replaced all the lid o-rings, adjusted all of the feet/bails, and used a little keg lube, and I never had an issue with a keg not sealing even with no pressure.
Yeah, I am fairly sure it is the feet. It is a lot better with pennies, but since I have other kegs and dont have the tools to bend the feet back without bending the brackets that hold it to the lid, and two pairs of needle nose pliers and elbow grease just arent cutting it, I am just going to let it sit as a last resort backup until I get my pipeline flowing enough to require its use.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 8

OK...sanke kegs FTW I will say that cornies are nice and lightweight...I picked up a Long Trail IPA 1/6 keg over the weekend that was in a converted corny to sanke, like ductwork w/ endcaps.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 08-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3196 Times on 3101 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer
OK...sanke kegs FTW
True. If I could fit 4 sanke sixtels in my keezer, I wouldn't own any cornies.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 06-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #17
Helly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It occurred to me that since I started this I should note that once I learned how to properly seal the lids I was still having problems with leaks. I then took all my poppets and replaced them with universal poppets and it's been smooth sailing ever since. So if you're having trouble I'd recommend you try them out, they worked wonders for me. Thanks to everyone for the tips as well. I was this close to giving up kegging, now I'll never go back.

Quick Reply