Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Newbie keg question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
So in this method "carb it up with C02 'set and forget' to your serving psi" how long does it take to be carbed?
Sorry - missed this question completely! I follow the set-and-forget method. I leave my regulator set at 11 or 12psi, the fridge runs around 40F, and I find most kegs carb up in 10-14 days.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 AM   #12
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger

Sorry - missed this question completely! I follow the set-and-forget method. I leave my regulator set at 11 or 12psi, the fridge runs around 40F, and I find most kegs carb up in 10-14 days.
Well that definitely sounds like the easiest, skip the priming and just leave the gas on it. Will try that for the next one.
On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #13
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger

I think a couple people are missing something crucial here, or at least if someone's pointed it out, I've missed it...

I'm sorry to be the one to point this out to you, but you're going to have an over carb'ed beer on your hands. Best bet will be to let it ride (the larger volume of the keg should take a little longer to condition than the smaller volume of a 12oz bottle), but start hitting that relief valve a bit NOW to release some of the excess CO2.

According to my handy-dandy Beersmith Lite app, for 2.4 volumes of CO2, you should have used 2.13oz of sugar to prime that keg at 72 degrees. Playing with it a little more, it looks like 4oz should produce about 3.8 volumes of CO2.

Certainly not the end of the world - if you hit that release valve a few times and vent the gas as it builds up, more of the CO2 will come out of solution, and you'll eventually get back down to an appropriate level of carbonation. It just might take a little time and experimentation.
I have beersmith too and should have checked this, didn't think to. Was just going by what my neighbor does, he doesn't change priming method at all between bottling and kegging. I also read a few threads on this forum that said they use the same amount of priming sugar but most say less is needed.

I tried mine tonight. It is still at about 68 degrees in the basement. I vented all the gas off with the pressure valve, then hooked up the co2 and set to about 5. Poured about a pint in a pitcher, lots of foam but very little sediment. I then poured a pint. Nice thick head, beautiful clear color and amazing smell. VERY close to SW IPA. I cooled it to about 55 and it tasted good, still a tad green but has only been in the keg for 16 days. It had decent bubbles after the head dissipated but it still tasted a little flat, could use a little more co2. I stuck it in my Keezer, put the co2 on it at 10 psi and set the temp for 45. Will revisit it on Friday and hope it's AWESOME for the SEC champ game Saturday. GO DAWGS!
image-2758949684.jpg  
On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 AM   #14
Packman715
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

what I have been doing and it seems to work is I keg my beer (no sugar) and set pressure to 30 psi. every chance I get for the first two days is to shake the crud out of the keg under pressure. Day four I tap and pour out first 1/2 beer (4-6 oz). I have been runing them at 5-10 psi for pouring pending beer and bubbles I want.

I just added a second keg to my system and what I did is to keg the beer and put it to 40 psi then shaked the heck out of it. I then turned down the psi after putting my one line of CO2 back on my drinking keg. For three days I switched back in forth changing PSI and shaking. Day Five first keg ran out I switched to keg two and poured at 6 psi and it was great.

I am new at keging(about 7 keg in) and this is seeming to work for me. I keep the kegs at about 37 deg f. for carb and serving.

It is better to be a smart arse than a dumb arse!
Keg 1: amber ale
Keg 2: Empty :(
Primary Carboy:soon to be an alt beir
Secondary Carboy: Nutella stout
Mead carboys 9gal total: Acerglyn still fermenting since end of April.

Quick Reply