Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Newbie Bottling Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
Downstream_Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Newbie Bottling Question

With my two stage brewing kit came a capper, two handle push down model. I was bottling my first batch last weekend and had issues capping. I actually cracked two bottles (necks) while capping. Is there a trick to this process other than sanitizing the caps, centering on the bottle, placing the capper on top and pushing the two handles down?

Tell me I am missing something because after one batch I am ready to move to kegs.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downstream_Brewer
With my two stage brewing kit came a capper, two handle push down model. I was bottling my first batch last weekend and had issues capping. I actually cracked two bottles (necks) while capping. Is there a trick to this process other than sanitizing the caps, centering on the bottle, placing the capper on top and pushing the two handles down?

Tell me I am missing something because after one batch I am ready to move to kegs.....
Were they perhaps twist-off bottles? Their necks are very thin and break easily--this is why they are not recommended for homebrewers.

Other than that, I'm not sure. I have found that some brands of bottles cap a little harder than others (Bass and Warsteiner, others probably, too), and that some caps cap more easily than others (I usually get Brewers Best caps if I can.)

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 08-02-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Downstream_Brewer
Recipes 

The bottles were bought from the local homebrew store and were definately not twist off bottles. Caps were overrun caps that came in the kit from the same store. Must be user error.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I've yet to bottle my first batch. Your post leads me to a question though. How much downward pressure is needed?

I've got a similiar capper, though mine has a magnet to hold the cap in place. I practiced with some old/used caps just to get a feel for the capper. Doesn't the crimping action + the shape of the bottle cause the cap to tighten down, thus little down force is needed?

Thanks (and sorry Downstream for hijacking your thread )

Old 08-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

It doesn't take much pressure, you just need to crimp over the edges. I'm thinking that you were either applying the pressue unevenly or that the bottles themselves may have had some flaws from the manufacturing process (cooled down too quickly or something). The bottles I get from the HBS are nice and study.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
Born Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzman
How much downward pressure is needed? Doesn't the crimping action + the shape of the bottle cause the cap to tighten down, thus little down force is needed?
It seems hardly any downward pressure is needed. The capper is spring loaded. The action of the spring and handles is the only pressure needed. After bottling for a year, I am switching to kegging. One big keg to clean and sanitize instead of 48+ bottles!

Primary :empty
Secondary : empty
KEG: empty

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I think your probably pushing down to hard? Your crimping the cap around the top of the bottle...not crushing it. The lever action of your capper combined with minimal contact with the crimping portion of the capper and cap itself makes for some great force.

Take a bottle or two and your capper during your next LHBS trip and ask him to demonstrate. It REALLY doesn't take much force.

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Old 08-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #8
Downstream_Brewer
Recipes 

I am swinging by the homebrew store and buying a bag of caps and taking them home and testing on some empty bottles and see what I am doing wrong. I am sticking with user error.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:11 PM   #9
DangerousJim
Recipes 

When capping I simply bring both handles down with equal force, but as soon a the the handles reach the end of there travel I stop. This sounds obvious but I had a tendancy at first to apply extra pressure (thinking more is better). I have never had a bottle crack, but I have thought the capper might break first. BTW I'm recycling my commercal beer bottles most of which are westmalle and are quite sturdy.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:29 AM   #10
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I've also found that boiling the caps in hot water right before you use them is helpful. They are hot/warm and are more malleable and go on the bottles much easier than if they're cold. Plus they're sanitized.

Quick Reply