Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Newb Kegging Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 03:46 AM   #1
Daburban
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Newb Kegging Questions

Hey guys, i don't want to bottle anymore and i'm thinking about jumping to kegs. A few things i'm wondering about is not having a kegerator to keep them cool in and the fact that i may want to throw them in my car and take em to a friends house sometime. Will i be able to transport them and how do you feel about room temp keg beer?!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2007, 04:06 AM   #2
sphericalcamel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daburban
Hey guys, i don't want to bottle anymore and i'm thinking about jumping to kegs. A few things i'm wondering about is not having a kegerator to keep them cool in and the fact that i may want to throw them in my car and take em to a friends house sometime. Will i be able to transport them and how do you feel about room temp keg beer?!
I've only been kegging a while, but for moving them I think it works fine. People bring kegs to our local club meetings all the time. As for room temp beer I wouldn't be a fan unless the room temp was a chilly basement. I would wait until you can get a fridge or try something like the tap-a-draft thing and put that in your regular fridge. (note: I don't have any experience with it, so that plan might not be a good one). Check craigslist for the fridge and you can get it dirt cheep as long as you can cover the extra electric bill.

Double Mutt Brewing!

On deck: More Apfelwein
Primary 1: 011 Trippel
Primary 2: 010 Wit
Primary 3: empty
Kegged: 009 Zaca Fire Ash Hefeweizen
008 Summer Hefeweizen

Old 08-28-2007, 04:12 AM   #3
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Transportation is not a problem. Room temp is another thing altogether. I think the real questtion is: Are you okay with room temp beer?

You will have to run your CO2 at a much higher pressure, which could cause serving problems. Check this link:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/docs/pdf/corny-keg.pdf

Corrupt Brewers

Old 08-28-2007, 05:09 AM   #4
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You should consider a jockey box. I couldnt tell you if that company is any good or if their prices are good or not, just wanted to give you a visual as to what they are.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Primary: Fat Tire clone
Secondary: Summit IPA
On Tap: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up Next: Blue Moon clone, Muddy Waters Ale
Coming Soon: Geforce Shugga

Old 08-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You'll need to condition your beer for at least a month at fermentation temp anyway. Longer than a month for high alcohol beer. So I don't see it as a problem.
For long term storage try to find the coolest place possible if it won't fit into your refridgerator.

As far as transport be sure to get 1 way valves or check valves to keep any beer from getting in you regulator. As beer could easily get into the gas line as a result of being in the short gas tube from the movement during transportation.

For serving consider using an Igloo Ice Cube cooler, some people make new tops out of foam insulation and others cut a hole in the top, unless you and your friends like room temp. beer.

You could also build your own jockey box.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You'll have a hell of a time carbonating at room temp, then dialing the pressure down and venting off 20lbs of gas every time you want to dispense some beer...then remember to crank the psi back up at the end of the drinking session.

not to mention 'room temp beer'....nasty.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply