The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > New Pin Lock Kegging Setup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
bribo179
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default New Pin Lock Kegging Setup

I got a 2 tap pin lock keg setup from kegconnection.com during their black friday sale.

I finally got it all hooked up today. I carbed the beer in advance and the kegs all pressurized fine. I hooked up my beer lines to the kegs and they dispensed just fine through the faucets.

I left for a few hours and came back with a river of beer going from my keezer to the floor drain in my basement. Both kegs are leaking from what appears to be the connection from the beer line hose to the adapter that screws into the pin lock connector. I didn't do anything special to the setup except run half a keg of oxy clean water through each side.

The beer tubing looks like it is attached to the pin lock connector by a metal type clamp. I have no way of tightening or loosening this clamp. Has anyone else ever had this problem? I plan on contacting Kegconnections tomorrow but didn't know if this was user error (which I doubt).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 981 Times on 801 Posts

Ugh. That totally sucks. Do the clamps look like this:

If so, those are Oetiker clamps, and someone didn't install them correctly. You might be able to tighten them up with a wire cutter or pliers by grabbing both sides of the squarish looking section and slowly crushing it.

Otherwise a run down to the hardware store for the smallest worm clamps you can find might be your quickest path towards a cure...

Cheers!

Old 12-12-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
bribo179
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That is the clamp style I have. I'll give that a try and report back.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
skipper1953
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

"Both kegs are leaking from what appears to be the connection from the beer line hose to the adapter that screws into the pin lock connector."

Is the leak actually coming from the between the hose and the "barb" on the flare fitting? Or is it coming from between the flare fitting and the pin lock connector? Did you use a wrench or pliers to tighten the connection between the flare fitting and the pin lock connector? If you only finger tightened the connection, you may not have gotten it as tight as you think. It needs to be tight but not over tightened.

Just a thought.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #5
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 981 Times on 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1953 View Post
Is the leak actually coming from the between the hose and the "barb" on the flare fitting? Or is it coming from between the flare fitting and the pin lock connector?[...]
Along those lines, if the leaks are actually in the flare connections to the disconnects, making sure there's a plastic washer in between the stainless bits is the place to start...

Cheers!

Old 12-12-2011, 02:24 AM   #6
bribo179
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I tightened down between the disconnect and the line with pliers. The leak seemed to stop ...but I'll try out again tomorrow when I can monitor it closely.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
Stand
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

They probably just hand tightened the hose barbs. That's not surprising. Thread seal tape usually isn't necessary, but if you still have a problem it's a cheap solution.

Quick Reply