Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > New Nitrogen Stout Tap...what went wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
ArcticBear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default New Nitrogen Stout Tap...what went wrong?

This past weekend I was given a beautiful Perlick Stainless Stout Faucet and regulator and i picked up a tank of G-mix to get it all setup.

I'll run through the scenario.

Party was happening Saturday night. So i kegged my chocolate milk stout and force carbed it overnight. i know this isnt my preferred method of carbing, but it works in a pinch.

So the next night I hook up the nitrogen setup, put on my chocolate milk stout and give it a couple pulls. Light cascading head and a little creaminess that lasted about 10 minutes. The problem was, after a little bit the beer was completely flat. I was instructed to turn the Nitrogen to 25PSI to pour. I did this and the beer was rocketing out of the stout faucet. (i have 10ft lines)

The party progress and we switched to swill beer for drinking games etc... and the kegerator went untouched until tonight. I got home from work and wanted a milk stout. So i poured one off the stout faucet at rocket speed and there was no cascade and it was immediately flat. I took the nitrogen off the keg, burped some of the gas, reset the pressure to around 8PSI and noticed the gas post had some beer on it (like it had back pressured up into the line) so i flushed the line. Tried to pour a beer at 8PSI and it came out much slower, but with no cascade and no creaminess, flat right out of the glass..

Can anyone provide any insight as to what my issue is here? I turned the nitrogen off and hooked up a CO2 line to it now to give it a little more carb over the next couple days.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1230 Times on 995 Posts

Simply put, your beer wasn't/isn't carbed to style yet. Give it at least a week more on CO2 before trying to serve it...

Cheers!

Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 AM   #3
Double-R
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I force carbe "Chilled stout" with co2 for 24 hours at 30lbs.
Then put it on mixed gas also at 30lbs..
You shouldn't carb with mixed gas... This works for me

Old 12-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-R View Post
I force carbe "Chilled stout" with co2 for 24 hours at 30lbs.
Then put it on mixed gas also at 30lbs..
You shouldn't carb with mixed gas... This works for me
i did force carb it with CO2 at 30lbs from friday night until it went on (i also did the shakey shake method when i first kegged it)

then it was put on mixed gas around 25lbs to serve (after i burped the keg to relieve some pressure) but it was pouring so fast it was ridiculous, so i turned down the pressure a little.

and then come monday night it didnt matter if it was on high pressure or low pressure for mixed gas, i wasn't getting any of the properties of pouring it on mixed gas through a stout faucet, it was either coming out at normal speed (low pressure) flat, or rocket speed (higher pressure) still flat, no cascading, no creaminess, nothing

i know better than trying to carb with mixed gas, i carb with my CO2 first

Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Hmm carbonation issues aside, beer shouldn't be rocketing out of a stout faucet. I don't have any direct experience with these, but isn't the whole point that you pass it through a restrictor plate at high pressure? Is the restrictor plate actually installed? Does Perlick even make a stout faucet?

Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
Hmm carbonation issues aside, beer shouldn't be rocketing out of a stout faucet. I don't have any direct experience with these, but isn't the whole point that you pass it through a restrictor plate at high pressure? Is the restrictor plate actually installed? Does Perlick even make a stout faucet?

I did check when I first opened the box and there is a small restrictor plate inside the top of the nozzle. it looks like a small disc with about 5 little pin sized holes punched into it that the beer passes through.

Here is the link to the tap I have. I purchased it to accompany my other 6 Perlick 525SS's
https://www.perlick.com/store/webcat...ctno=1&grpno=6

it looks slightly different in style from the one pictured, but this is where it was ordered from

Old 12-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I like the set it and forget it method for my stout faucet. I put it on CO2 at about 8 lbs for a couple of weeks. Then hook up the beergas at 30-35 lbs. Nice pour, good cascade and good head.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
ArcticBear
Recipes 

The issue im having is that if i have it at 30-35lbs of pressure i'd be almost afraid it would crack the glass when it comes out of the faucet (ok so im exaggerating of course, but even at 25psi it was really coming out much faster than ive ever seen out of a stout tap)

Old 12-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Double-R
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm running 3/16 inner diam beer line .. at around 5 feet.
Read something about beer line resistance that affect pour speed somewhere around here..??

Old 12-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Line length doesn't matter as much for a stout tap, since most of the restriction comes from the faucet.

ArcticBear, sorry I can't be more helpful! If it's coming out that fast, it sounds like the restrictor plate isn't really providing any restriction

Quick Reply