new nitro system problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friday

Reaction score
Ok so I just set up my new nitro system and I'm blowing a very nice glass of foam.

Here's what I'm doing. I have about an 8ft line from the keg to the tap and I'm running 25 psi.

My kegs are naturally carbed and at are 34f.

The restrictor plate is defiantly in the faucet, can a restrictor plate be put in upside down?

My mix is 75/25.

What am I doing wrong?

Yes I do have a flow director under the plate, good observation.

I don't have any idea what the carbonation level is, it's pretty lightly carbed. I've tried a ipa charged at 12 psi for 2 weeks and a English ale naturally carbed very lightly. Same problem on both kegs.

Do I need to let it sit on the beer gas for a few days?

You are most likely over carbed. On my nitro system I slow carb at 8psi, 10 max. A properly carbed beer for nitro can be perceived as flat on co2. A freshly fermed beer can contain as much as 1 volume residual co2 just from fermentation. Degas your brew by shaking and bleeding several times over the next 24 hrs and then let it "equalize" for a day or two at 25psi on mixed gas

I'll try bleeding it off for a few days, worst thing that could happen is I get some beer I need to re carb. This nitro system is a real learning curve.

Ya it took me a few batches to figure it out for sure. If you want to fast carb what I do is just hook it up to co2 @30psi shake it a few times and then move it to mixed gas and pour a test pint. Just repeat until you get the nice cascading pour. Its a fine line between properly carbed and over carbed

Yep I was over carbed. I've almost got it dialed in, it's still got a little to much foam but I'm getting it figured out.

I wish I would have bought a nitro system at the start this is they way beer should be served.

Next project is a beer engine.

Hi, I drilled in a Stout tap Saturday night and hooked up my system. I assume that the beer I had was too carbonated also - at least for nitrogen. I get about 1/4 to 1/3 foam once it settles out. Then within minutes, the foam goes down to about zero - or at least before I finish the glass. I thought that with the nitrogen, the foam would last longer. Does the foam dissapear because there is too much CO2, or does it take longer for the nitrogen to get into the beer?

I have my beer gas set up at 30 psi.

Update on my previous post. I took the previously carbonated Stout off the stout tap and put it back on CO2. I put some new Bitters (undercarbonated) on the stout tap. It took it a while to get up to speed, but now it has a full nitrogen head that doesn't go away. I would say it took over a week for it to go from nearly no head to a 1/2 to 3/4" head. (Seems longer when you are waiting). I am at around 30 psi which seems fine.

Back