New to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breweringbeaz

Reaction score
Well after year plus of bottling I made the switch to kegging . So far makes the process so much more enjoyable. Today I encounters a new problem and was looking for experienced insight. I was in the process of bottling from the keg (use a hose with an attachment that fits into the faucet). I was having a difficult time eliminating the foam. I would continue to burp the keg until I had barely one or 2 psi. Still foam to the point I noticed beer leaking from the faucet ( the round ball joint connecting the tap handle to the faucet. Then I noticed my co2 was entirely empty (frozen over). I have detected no leaks in the last few weeks. I will be refilling co2 today and double checking leaks. Is it possible to have a leak in the regulator (speficalky where you dial the psi up and down. Would this cause all of the foam?

well the best way I know to check leaks is to, make a mixture of soapy water and spray it along all the connection points or hose, and look for bubbles.

other than the bottling and the foam, I haven't personally tried this yet. but here is a little blurb on midwest supplies website. and I am sure there are a lot of forms here that can help out as well.

If beer is leaking from the top of your tap.....then that might just be where your CO2 is also releasing. Can you tighten the connection?

Well after year plus of bottling I made the switch to kegging . So far makes the process so much more enjoyable. Today I encounters a new problem and was looking for experienced insight. I was in the process of bottling from the keg (use a hose with an attachment that fits into the faucet). I was having a difficult time eliminating the foam. I would continue to burp the keg until I had barely one or 2 psi. Still foam to the point I noticed beer leaking from the faucet ( the round ball joint connecting the tap handle to the faucet. Then I noticed my co2 was entirely empty (frozen over). I have detected no leaks in the last few weeks. I will be refilling co2 today and double checking leaks. Is it possible to have a leak in the regulator (speficalky where you dial the psi up and down. Would this cause all of the foam?

Get the beer and bottles very cold before bottling. I put my sanitizer in the freezer or fridge with my bottles. It will cut down on the foaming. Another trick is to slightly over carbonate your beer before bottling. That way if you lose a little CO2 in transfer, it is not too big of a deal. I use a Blichmann Beer Gun for bottling, but to honest I have not been that happy with it.

Hammy71 said:
If beer is leaking from the top of your tap.....then that might just be where your CO2 is also releasing. Can you tighten the connection?
I going to double check that and all connections and try to pinpoint. My gut tells me something around the regulator. Maybe the dial part who knows

Today I encounters a new problem and was looking for experienced insight. I was in the process of bottling from the keg (use a hose with an attachment that fits into the faucet). I was having a difficult time eliminating the foam. I would continue to burp the keg until I had barely one or 2 psi.

It sounds like you're using a "growler filler" that fits into a Perlick tap. Stainless with two o-rings and a 10-12" vinyl line? I have one and it's fine for filling 2L plastic soda bottles (using a carbonator cap) for taking beer places. I'd never want to use it to try and fill a 12oz glass bottle and cap it. That's not what it's designed for.

Check out this thread. I use this setup and it works quite nicely. I do like to put the bottles down inside of a chest cooler as you will get a little spillage. Have a towel handy. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/ I do not route the beer through the faucet with this, but use a separate liquid side ball lock coupling and 10ft of beer line connected to the filler.

Thanks for the response. Yes it sounds like waft you described as a growler filler. I was reading the same post earlier today and was thinking of using it .. What tubing size would you recommend for the faucet?

Back