Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > New kegerator smells like CO2..do I have a leak?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
beertastic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default New kegerator smells like CO2..do I have a leak?

I finished my new kegerator yesterday, and hooked everything up. Today I open it up to check on it and there is a strong CO2 burn/smell in the kegerator. I was thinking there should be no CO2 in the airspace in the fridge itself.

Does this mean I have a leak somewhere? And how do I troubleshoot?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
mkw87
Recipes 

Get a spray bottle with soapy water and spray ALL connections and with for bubbles. If you find a leak make sure to keep going to make sure there's not multiple.

Bottled : Apfelwein, Blackberry Mead, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Kolsch

Next Up: Blackberry ? and a Boch of some sort

Old 08-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
mcaple1
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

How new is new....are you sure you don't just smell offgassing of the plastic pieces.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
beertastic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaple1 View Post
How new is new....are you sure you don't just smell offgassing of the plastic pieces.
Brand new. What is offgassing of plastic pieces mean?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
mcaple1
Recipes 

Plastic consumer products are notorious for outgassing/offgassing. I deal with this with satellite communications a bit. Basically, it's "new car smell", and a byproduct of the manufacturing process. Open your kegerator and let it air out for a few days, then close it back up and try it again. Smell should be gone.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:44 AM   #6
beertastic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaple1 View Post
Plastic consumer products are notorious for outgassing/offgassing. I deal with this with satellite communications a bit. Basically, it's "new car smell", and a byproduct of the manufacturing process. Open your kegerator and let it air out for a few days, then close it back up and try it again. Smell should be gone.
This is more of a chocking "I can't breath in this it burns" than a smell. It is almost exactly like when I open up my ferm chamber and take a big wiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkw87 View Post
Get a spray bottle with soapy water and spray ALL connections and with for bubbles. If you find a leak make sure to keep going to make sure there's not multiple.
OK, I think I found one. Thanks. Looks like I already lost half my CO2 in the tank

Old 08-29-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
mcaple1
Recipes 

ahhhh...ok. yeah, I get the burning thing from c02 when I take a big whiff our of my ferm chamber as well. sorry for the confusion, and good luck on fixing the leak.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:17 AM   #8
mkw87
Recipes 

Sorry to hear it was a leak. Remember in the future any time you break a connection it's a good idea to check for leaks again.

Bottled : Apfelwein, Blackberry Mead, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Kolsch

Next Up: Blackberry ? and a Boch of some sort

Old 08-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
neut2004
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Get replacement parts for nearly everything, that way a leak will never ruin your day. All rubber o-rings, poppets, posts, disconnects, release valves. I bought some old kegs and all the release valves were leaking, it seems like those may be the first to go. Also, get some keg lube.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 AM   #10
mrgreen4242
Recipes 

How would I test for leaks on the posts of the kegs themselves? Just disconnect the hoses and spray with soapy water? Or would that not test the o-rings seal?

I just washed the inside of my kegerator (lots of condensation, need to get it out of the garage and put in a better moisture absorber) and both kegs before I refilled one of them with my latest batch and discovered I was out of CO2 after just two kegs! I carbed them on the bottle (and obviously dispensed them) but I was expecting more like 5-10 kegs per 5# CO2. Is that fairly reasonable? I know I lost some gas setting up the system and washing/testing kegs and lines, but doesn't seem like it should have been that much.

I'll replace the o-rings on both kegs as soon as I get more CO2 (so I can test it under pressure), but where else could there be leaks - only the gas line connections or the keg itself, right?

Primary: None
Secondary: None
Kegged: Jack the Ripper London Ale Redux, Blue Moon Clone
Bottled: Must-Go APA, Mint Chocolate Stout
All gone: Jack the Ripper London Ale, Silver Dollar Cream Ale, Graff, Strawberry Wheat, "777" Rye IPA, Pomegranate Pilsner, Deer Camp Ice American Ale (19% ABV), Cream of Three Crops Ale, Pumpkin Spice Ale
Up Next: Something like Aprihop and/or Magic Hat #9

Quick Reply