Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > New keezer system; advice/opinions sought

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #11
paulages
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
You might consider trying it without a highly pressurized gas blend first. The standard resistance calculations for lines are in my experience fairly generous. You could also try using barrier tubing instead of vinyl lines since it has much less resistance. Also, since you're not running a bar where how many seconds it takes to pour a beer isn't crucial, a slower pour might not hurt anything. I intentionally made my lines longer than needed for some extra resistance. This way I have no worries about foaming, even if I decide to carb a hefe or belgian up to 4 vol. Yes it pours a little slow, but if I have time to drink a beer, I have an extra few seconds to wait for it to pour.

If you're buying a premix rather than using a mixer you don't need two bottles. If you're carbing via set and forget method, just connect the beer at your calculated serving pressure, and wait until it's carbed just like you would with pure CO2. It might not be quite as fast, but you can even burst carb with your blend if you want to.

Yep, if you fill the hose with coolant before turning the pump on, you only need enough head pressure to overcome the line resistance. If not, you need enough head pressure to push coolant to the highest point in the line.
A different guy at the same supplier seems to think that this short a run will have no problem with 12 PSI serving, so I'll just try straight CO2 first. I may have questions regarding appropriate pressures burst carbonating if I end up going with a mix.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
ValleyBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulages View Post
A different guy at the same supplier seems to think that this short a run will have no problem with 12 PSI serving, so I'll just try straight CO2 first. I may have questions regarding appropriate pressures burst carbonating if I end up going with a mix.
Yeah, I agree. I missread one of your earlier post where you were saying you would "lose 2psi per foot of run" and I read that as "2psi per foot of rise". You will lose 0.433psi per 1' of rise. If your taps are 10' above the keg, then you will lose. 4.33 psi based on the elevation change alone. Which leaves you approximately 7.6 psi (Assuming 12psi pressure) to overcome line and faucet resistance. You should be able to get something to work without mixed gas.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #13
paulages
Recipes 

Getting somewhere! The frugal side of me decided that the cheapest way to buy a temperature controller was to piece one together using a PID controller, even though I knew nothing about PIDs and have never used one. It didn't help that the instructions were in barely understandable "chinglish" (Google translated chinese, maybe?). I managed to get it wired up, and using a lamp as my test light for the fridge power, I eventually got it to do what I want. Basically, I turned off the proportional band (P), Integral time (I), and the derivitive (D), and am just using the range and hysteresis to tell the relay when to flip and power the fridge. I left a 2°F buffer so that the fridge wouldn't turn on and off too close to the set point, and the hysteresis to smooth the readings out a little.

Here's a couple photos:

I went to the goodwill looking for a lunchbox to use to house the controller and its wiring. I found this box, marked "little watchman," which turned out to be some kind of bed wetting therapy alarm!

Anyway, the freezer is cooling now. Kegging tomorrow!

Quick Reply