Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > New Keezer build pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Default New Keezer build pics

I need room in the lager refrigerator to brew a Bock this weekend so I finally had to get going on the keezer. I had a woodworker friend build the frame...it's 6" tall and 3/4" thick. Then I used 2-3 layers of 3/4" thick foam insulation custom cut with a box cutter and glued them in with Door & Window seal. Then I custom cut black Gorilla Tape to protect the foam. There are two holes on each side of the back panel for the temp controller probe and gas line (so I can choose which side and just plug the unused side). I mounted the temp controller on the back panel. There are SS bulkhead fittings in the back panel for the gas line on each side. The collar is bonded to the keezer and I just moved the lid and hinges up.

Just gotta put the weather stripping on the top of the collar and then do all the liquid lines and it's operational.

The tank is to the left behind the 'on-deck' keg. Still need a drip tray.

My 'manifold' (lol) is on the right...it's just a tee with 3 valves. There is a back-to-back connecting the tee to the bulkhead fitting. The long slot in the insulation just to the right of the manifold is so you can get the temp controller probe in/out...but the thin capillary tubing is protected by the insulation. I'm gonna move the manifold to the other side before I finish it up.

Here's the inside front panel. I only have three 3" SS shanks and I'm awaiting the fourth.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 04:08 AM   #2
newbeerpig
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts

Looks sweet

Planning: Firestone DBA (2), Irish Red Ale
Favorites: Black Dog Blackberry Wheat Ale(3),Hush Puppy Cream Ale, Firestone DBA Clone, Coffee and Cream Stout

Old 04-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
chumprock
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I love my Magic Chef..

Old 04-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Vtbrew
Recipes 

Hey how many cf is that freezer and how tall is the collar.

1st time brewer long time drinker.

Primary:
Secondary:Hoppy birthday IPA
Bottled: Scottish 80/-AB Clone
Keg: Marzen, Pale ale
Up next: Amber ale, Wheat

Old 04-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

7 cu ft. and 6" tall.

I hope to take advantage of the elevated kegs being warmer by putting serving kegs that are more appropriately served warmer and less carbonated like some English Ales and Stouts, etc. Since they're warmer they'll just naturally be less carbed at the same pressure. Then the two far left spots are the coldest and will be reserved for lagering.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 04-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I swear these 7.2ft Magic Chefs were designed for this very purpose. The fit is just amazing. I love mine

Old 04-13-2009, 01:23 AM   #7
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBrain View Post
I swear these 7.2ft Magic Chefs were designed for this very purpose. The fit is just amazing. I love mine
lol....yeah but now I think I need another keezer for lagering and this one just for serving and on-deck serving kegs. Then the fridge for the lager fermenting. Never ends!

Old 04-13-2009, 02:16 AM   #8
chumprock
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yeah, I looked around a while to maybe find a used freezer, but I couldnt get away from how nice the magic chef works out.

Stuffed my buddy full of ham and then coaxed him into helping me get these set up tonight..

At least 2 homebrew taps (3rd can be sanke or ball-lock) and SWMBO wants the 4th for cider.

I considered a collar, but the wife got me the towers for Christmas, so I went with what i had. I use the hump for bottles and growlers.

Quick Reply