Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > New Bottling Bucket! - quick question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
corvax13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New Bottling Bucket! - quick question

Hey everyone

So today marks a very special day in my (very) young brewing adventure - I just received a bottling bucket from AHS. Now, the reason this is great is because that means I no longer have to bottle with an autosiphon, and that brings my number of available primaries to 3 - can we say pipeline? I'll be using this baby this weekend for Yuri's Pumpkin Ale.

My question is this - the bucket and the spigot come separately. In the spigot, there is a small rubber ring - should this go on the inside or outside of the bucket? Sorry if this seems trivial, but unlike many homebrewers I am very tool-and-handyman-challenged - that is soon changing though.

Thanks!

Furry Friend Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Rubber ring on the inside!

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 10-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
ISLAGI
1 beer short of a sixer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would double check your order. Mine has two o-rings, one for the inside and one for the outside

Old 10-08-2009, 04:43 AM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLAGI View Post
I would double check your order. Mine has two o-rings, one for the inside and one for the outside
I have two bottle buckets...one has 2 o-rings, one has just 1. Neither leaked.

Now you just need the bottling wand and about 2 inches of hose to attach it to the spigot. This is WAY better than trying to run a few feet of hose (from someone who's done it both ways).
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 10-08-2009, 05:47 AM   #5
jtrainer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
I have two bottle buckets...one has 2 o-rings, one has just 1. Neither leaked.

Now you just need the bottling wand and about 2 inches of hose to attach it to the spigot. This is WAY better than trying to run a few feet of hose (from someone who's done it both ways).
Stop hold the presses... forget the little piece of hose to attach the bottling wand, just shove it up in the valve body..... works great.

How are you going to build a dip tube for this? I used a shortened arcrylic racking cane and a number 1 bung. When used as a primary I add the little black filter thingy to the racking cane...

Ready to keg, Attach tube to spigot other end in keg, pull airlock and open valve...
OnTap: Air

Fermenter: Imp Vanilla Porter, BackAtIt IPA
OnDeck: Happy New Beer

Old 10-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
corvax13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrainer View Post
How are you going to build a dip tube for this? I used a shortened arcrylic racking cane and a number 1 bung. When used as a primary I add the little black filter thingy to the racking cane...
What do you mean by dip tube?

I talked to Forrest from AHS, he said that their new buckets only have one ring - no problems there.

I already have a bottling want and some spare tubing, so I was going to go that route.

Thanks for the replies!

Furry Friend Brewery

Old 10-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvax13 View Post
What do you mean by dip tube?

I talked to Forrest from AHS, he said that their new buckets only have one ring - no problems there.

I already have a bottling want and some spare tubing, so I was going to go that route.

Thanks for the replies!
The bottling bucket dip tube can be found here; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revv...herwise-94812/ Several folks have refined my design.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
RunBikeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I added Revvy's dip tube and it works great, with one added trick:

With the dip tube, I get a little pocket of air at top-dead-center of my spigot body. I have to rotate the spigot and bottling wand up and depress the filler valve to get the little air pocket out, then rotate it back down for bottling. Not a huge deal, but the first time I bottled with the dip tube, I kept getting bubbles. The dip tube works great, though.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunBikeBrew View Post
I added Revvy's dip tube and it works great, with one added trick:

With the dip tube, I get a little pocket of air at top-dead-center of my spigot body. I have to rotate the spigot and bottling wand up and depress the filler valve to get the little air pocket out, then rotate it back down for bottling. Not a huge deal, but the first time I bottled with the dip tube, I kept getting bubbles. The dip tube works great, though.
Good suggestion, mind posting it in my thread?
A couple of people have had similar issues. I never had.

Oh I haven't mentioned it, but I have to make BB dip tube V.3, just like v1, version two (the one made with the melted and bent piece of racking cane) went down my disposal and was eaten.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
jtrainer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Revvy That's cool. Very similar to what I used. I used a shortened racking cane so I took advantage of the nice bend. Nice how to thread you have... wish I would have found it before...

OnTap: Air

Fermenter: Imp Vanilla Porter, BackAtIt IPA
OnDeck: Happy New Beer

Quick Reply