Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > need help! Corneys or sankes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 03:08 AM   #1
HillbillyDeluxe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default need help! Corneys or sankes?

Guys,
I'm ready to try kegging. I have a sanke that someone gave me. I was debating cornies though. I have some questions and thouts and wouldlike some advice.
1: I think it would be easier to make a kegorator for multiple corneys (cheaper?).
2: Is the gear to fill and carb cheaper for on than the other?
3: Can i carb by priming in a keg, or must i force carb?
4: Whitch one is best for a firs timer and easyest?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2009, 03:19 AM   #2
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

While it's possible to keg in a sanke, it's a whole lot easier with corny kegs. As a result, you'll find most homebrewers using corny kegs almost exclusively. Corny kegs are easier to clean since they have a large opening at the top, and they are easier and cheaper to purchase. Most online homebrew sites will have a section dedicated to kegging, and corny kegs is what you'll see.

1: I think it would be easier to make a kegorator for multiple corneys (cheaper?).
Yes, easier AND cheaper. You can always add a sanke coupler and keg later, but design your kegerator around corny kegs.
It's all the same equipment to carb: CO2 Tank, Regulator, Gas Hose, Connector (either ball lock, pin lock, or sanke coupler).
You can do both, but why prime with sugar when you have gas???
Corny keg is the was to go...if you have an extra fridge you can literally throw everything inside and voila! you have a kegerator.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 01-12-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post
Guys,
I'm ready to try kegging. I have a sanke that someone gave me. I was debating cornies though. I have some questions and thouts and wouldlike some advice.
Not sure as I have not built a kegerator yet. However, I would think that just the fact that cornies are smaller, you would have an easier time making a kegerator with multiple taps for more variety...

Quote:
Again, I have never used sankes for that purpose, but cornies aren't all that tough to use...

Quote:
You can prime in a keg....

Quote:
I would go with cornies... They are relatively easy to find and there are a plenty of suppliers for the parts you would need to get started...

Good luck

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 01-12-2009, 03:26 AM   #4
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I use sanke's but its only because I got a great deal on 5 1/6 sanke kegs and the coupler's to go with it. People say the benefit to corny's is that they are easier to fill and clean. Well, it takes me about 30 seconds to disassemble and 2 minutes to assemble a sanke keg. As far as cleaning, I do it the same way every one else cleans their carboys, fill with Oxy Clean, soak, rinse.

If I was doing it again, I'd probaby use corny's but only because they are easier to find. I had to scour craigslist to get up to the eight that I have. One benefit is that it universally fits the standard kegerator if you ever want to take your beer on the road.

Regarding your questions, here's my opinions:

1. I think it would be the same for either.
2. About the same, the two connections for corny's are ~$12 each and a sanke coupler is about $25.
3. Yes, you can prime and you can do it in either.
4. Don't know. I will say that it is super easy to tap and untap sanke's but the installing the snap ring can be frustrating the first few times.

While I expect this thread will overwhelmingly lean towards corny's and I understand that, I also know that there are alot untruth's going around about the difficulty of sanke's. I personally think that other than opening and closing them, everything else is easier in a sanke.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:31 AM   #5
ajwillys
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
Not sure as I have not built a kegerator yet. However, I would think that just the fact that cornies are smaller, you would have an easier time making a kegerator with multiple taps for more variety...
Corny's aren't really much smaller than sanke's. They are 1/4" skinnier and 3/8" shorter.

Draft Beer Keg Size Dimensions

Old 01-12-2009, 03:43 AM   #6
HillbillyDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

OK, Where is the best place to get a good deal on the setup? I want to have three taps and run cornies. I think i'll do the co2 local. I'll need everything else to do three kegs though.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post
OK, Where is the best place to get a good deal on the setup? I want to have three taps and run cornies. I think i'll do the co2 local. I'll need everything else to do three kegs though.
You can source all the parts separately and maybe save a few bucks, but Midwest Supplies has some great kits that have all parts included. Here's a triple draft system that included all hoses, connections, kegs, regulator, 3-way manifold and picnic taps for three kegs: $189.95

All you need to do is pick up a CO2 tank, and throw it all into a fridge.

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 01-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
madewithchicken
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

With my setup I want to get a 1/2 barrel keg. Space is not a concern for me because my kegs are on the outside of my kegerator. The beer is ran through a cold plate inside the fridge.

So the bigger the keg the better.

The problem is i would have to buy a bigger fermentor (maybe a half barrel fermentor) or extra fermentors. I am currently setup for 5 gallon batches.

I probably will not be around much anymore. I had to close my restaurant and get a real job so i do not have the time to hang out online all day.

Check out my videos on my profile or at:

1920fairfax.com Just voted the worst show on the internet.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
ajwillys
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madewithchicken View Post
The problem is i would have to buy a bigger fermentor (maybe a half barrel fermentor) or extra fermentors. I am currently setup for 5 gallon batches.
You can always ferment (and mash, brew, etc.. for that matter) separately and blend at kegging time.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madewithchicken View Post
With my setup I want to get a 1/2 barrel keg. Space is not a concern for me because my kegs are on the outside of my kegerator. The beer is ran through a cold plate inside the fridge.

So the bigger the keg the better.

Not to hijack the thread, but how do you carbonate your beers with the keg outside the fridge?

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Quick Reply