New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Need help with CO2 tank problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #21
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Welding Supply shops are the best place to get them refilled, if you ask me. Seek one out.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #22
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

LHBS is 45 mins away. Fire extinguisher place is 30min. No welding shop in town would fill the tank, only exchange. Gas place did not have CO2. A couple of the sporting goods stores had CO2 but would not fill more than like 22oz. That's why I was psyched to hear this guy tell me that he would fill it for me. Yes, I realize that CO2 is filled by weight. That is why I know that when this guy tells me that he put 3lb 11oz in my tank and I take it home and it's more like 1lb 2oz, I'm through. That's enough information for me. I suppose sometimes folding is the best option. I've decided to quit my b!tch!ng, exchange my tank, and be happy that I now have beer on tap. Thanks for the help though.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #23
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm going for the paintball setup for more than just portability. Its a good contingency as Lowe's exchanges full tanks 7 days a week and they are 5 minutes away.

We're also getting a Dick's Sporting Goods store 5 minutes away that will open in the Fall. Both will come in handy on a Sunday when the tank is empty... Of course it will happen at 9 PM when they are closed, but then I may as well go to bed.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:42 PM   #24
shafferpilot

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What I did was filled my little nice shiny tank to use for my portable setup. Talk about being the hit of the party when you show up with 5 gallons of homebrew Then I went to the welding shop and I rent a bigger 20 lb (i think) tank for the home setup. It cost a hundred bucks or so to "buy" the first tank, but from now on I just pay for the exchange. MUCH cheaper in the long run when compared to refilling the little 5lb job every 6 kegs.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 06-27-2008, 12:39 AM   #25
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, I plan on getting something small I think for a backup. Maybe the same rout EW is going. Definitely don't want to get stuck on a Sunday with no CO2 (cant buy beer on Sun. in IN). A 5lb is most practical for me now. I can get 2 more cornys in my fridge using a 5lber. I'm not real concerned with the look of my tank. As long as it works im cool. The only thing is, I bought my tank new with 2 corny's from MWS and the date stamp is from this April. I've read the "caution" thread about getting screwed with an out of date stamp and having to buy a new one.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:17 AM   #26
bigbellybrewery

Recipes 

Same happened to me, placed tank in fridge, pressure dropped drastically. Placed tank outside of fridge, pressure back to normal. Gauge measuring pressure not amount

Avatar is a pic of my grandfather. 1st to hit Omaha beach on D-Day..the greatest generation

Old 06-27-2008, 03:06 AM   #27
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with my gauge. Somehow the guy cant tell how much he's putting in my tank.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #28
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

just remember to always check the tank they give you for exchange. Don't hand yoour's over until you inspect the one they're giving you. Until then it's your tank, you have the right to refuse a crappy one they try and pass off on you.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply