Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Need help with CO2 tank problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
BWRIGHT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So I checked on my beer on my lunch break today. The good news is it is nearly carbed. The bad news is that I checked the high pressure gague and it was down to 0. I opened the tank valve and it hissed for about 2 seconds and quit. There was never more than gas in it. I'm convinced that I didn't have a leak AND my gague works fine. I think the guy at the store just didn't fill it very much. He's not used to filling 5lb tanks. Its a sporting goods store that normally only deals with paint ball. Anyway now I have to call this guy without getting pissed because he's the only one in town that will fill my tank without having to exchange it. Maybe I'll show him how to do it next time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Ok, so weigh your tank now that it's empty and write that weight on the side as TARE. Bring a scale to the store with you and make sure when he's done filling it weighs TARE + 5lbs.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #13
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Right, got you on that. Now, what is TARE?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #14
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Tare is the weight of an empty container. On a digital scale, you first put your container on the scale and press a button marked TARE. The scale will now read zero. That way the scale will read the weight of the product you put in the container instead of the combined weight. Obviously, standard scales don't have that option, so you need to know the empty weight of the container (TARE) in order to calculate the weight of product.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 06-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #15
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Right......

Old 06-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #16
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So, I went back to the same place to get my tank refilled. They guy told me that he did fill it by weight, after he had zeroed the scale. So I told him to go ahead and fill it. Thought maybe I had a leak AND a faulty gague. I should have known better. He came back out and told me he could only get 3lb 11oz into the tank. So at this point I know something is wrong with his technique/equipment/or brain. So I take it home and weigh it and it is only 1.2lbs heavier than what it was empty. So the "3lb 11oz" is a mystery. I guess I'll have to exchange my brand new shiny tank for a $h!tty used one. This sucks. Does anyone normally have problems with exchange, because that was the only guy in town that would FILL my tank.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #17
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That's where one of these would come in very handy.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=66627

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 06-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #18
fishops
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWRIGHT View Post
So, I went back to the same place to get my tank refilled. They guy told me that he did fill it by weight, after he had zeroed the scale. So I told him to go ahead and fill it. Thought maybe I had a leak AND a faulty gague. I should have known better. He came back out and told me he could only get 3lb 11oz into the tank. So at this point I know something is wrong with his technique/equipment/or brain. So I take it home and weigh it and it is only 1.2lbs heavier than what it was empty. So the "3lb 11oz" is a mystery. I guess I'll have to exchange my brand new shiny tank for a $h!tty used one. This sucks. Does anyone normally have problems with exchange, because that was the only guy in town that would FILL my tank.
I've never had a problem with exchange. The tank I get is usually just as clean and nice and new as the one I give them. Then again, I can exchange at my LHBS, I imagine you wouldn't get as nice a service with a welding place.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #19
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2812 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
That's where one of these would come in very handy.
Thats what the guy filling your tank most likely, or SHOULD have at his store. Even for just filling paintball tanks. Our Field had one for the co2. In Case you haven't picked it up yet from the thread, Co2 is filled by weight as apposed to say compressed air that is filled by PSI.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 06-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #20
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'd keep looking for places to fill that tank. Check your LHBS, fire extinguisher places, welding supply, even some propane places will fill Co2

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply