Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Need help with CO2 tank problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
BWRIGHT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Need help with CO2 tank problem

I kegged my first two batches today and I am having some trouble with my CO2 tank. When I got it filled earlier today the high pressure gauge read 200 psi when I connected it. I've had two kegs carbing at 30 psi for a couple hours now and it is now reading 100 psi. I could not detect any leaks, but like I said, I am new to kegging. Is my gague just not working? Is there some way I can tell how much CO2 left. Even with a leak, there should be more than 100 psi left right? Need some help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 01:41 AM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Is the tank in the refrigerator? Cold tanks will read a different pressure than room temp ones.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yeah but 200psi on the high side? Do you have it sitting in liquid nitrogen? It should read between 600-1000 psi.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-25-2008, 02:02 AM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Yeah but 200psi on the high side? Do you have it sitting in liquid nitrogen? It should read between 600-1000 psi.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that too. Me and my incomplete answers.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:08 AM   #5
fishops
Recipes 

My 5lb tank reads 900 warm and 850 cold when it's full... Either your gauge is broken or you lost a bunch of gas somewhere. Have you sprayed for leaks? Try filling a spray bottle with starsan or soapy water and spray the whole system down. You can easily find leaks this way, they'll bubble like nuts.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:07 AM   #6
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The tank is in the fridge at 40F. It went down a little from room temp to being cold. I didn't spray for leaks because I am a lazy SOB, but I will. I really don't think its a leak though because when I first connected the gauge to the tank it read 200. Does anyone know a way to tell how much is left in the tank without relying on the gauge? If I could confirm that the tank is full then I would know that the gauge is just defective. The only other thing that could have happened would be that the tank was only filled to 200 psi. I don't know how they judge how much to put in the tank.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:20 AM   #7
RiverSwillBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWRIGHT View Post
The tank is in the fridge at 40F. It went down a little from room temp to being cold. I didn't spray for leaks because I am a lazy SOB, but I will. I really don't think its a leak though because when I first connected the gauge to the tank it read 200. Does anyone know a way to tell how much is left in the tank without relying on the gauge? If I could confirm that the tank is full then I would know that the gauge is just defective. The only other thing that could have happened would be that the tank was only filled to 200 psi. I don't know how they judge how much to put in the tank.

I have 4 20lb tanks and 2 sets of gauges ... the gauges read differently on the same tank FWIW . I think my LHBS has the low pressure gauge for like 5 bucks and the high for maybe 10.... gauges are cheap (regulator isn't so cheap). Id get a good set of gauges bigtime. Also Ive filled up my tub and put the tank in it to look for bubbles . Good luck

Old 06-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My 5# reads 900 when full and warm, and 600 when it goes in the fridge. Might be best to take your tank and regulator back to the place you got if filled. They might check the regulator for you to see if the gauges work.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

To check tank fullness, run hot water over the tank for about 1 minute. Then set the tank on the counter and run your hand up and down the side. You will feel a temperature break at the level of the CO2. BTW if the bottle really is empty, you'll notice that it's really light.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 06-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

You could also weigh the empty tank with regulator, then compare it to a full tank-- should weigh about an extra 5 lbs. (or whatever size your tank is). Periodically weighing it as you use it should tell you how much is left.

Of course, I'm too lazy to do this so I always get anxious when I'm in the middle of bottling or something and I see the pressure start to fall quickly. Now I have a second tank that I'm going to fill and keep as a reserve.

Planning: n/a

Quick Reply