The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Need Bottle Cleaning Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
caioz1jp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I used straight clorox bleach in my worst bottle. HOLY WOW they look brand new. Only issue is i could smell a little bleach after bottle jetting. My next test is to see what the maximum dilution of bleach in water is effective. All i know is it looks like im set on bottles for a while.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #22
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
I live in a 575sqft condo, so my bottles got stored outside. I am extraordinarily diligent about rinsing my bottles, but I still found mold and maggots in my "clean" bottles. Now I rinse each bottle when I pour it into a glass, drain the remaining liquid a few minutes later and the put some foil on the top so I can put them outside.
The mold might be from the water left in the bottles - there is still some after coming back and draining them. I drain mine, too - but then I store them overnight upside down in a rack to air dry. No mold so far.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #23
2brew1cup
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I put my bottles through the dishwasher and it gets those sucks medical grade clean

Breakers of the world, Unite!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #24
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by caioz1jp View Post
I just got a bottle jet to clean more properly. Ill probably pick up some bleach to realy clean them out. If oxy clean doesnt work. To me this is more of principle since i have about 4 cases of 12 oz bottles and about 6 cases of 22s. The 12oz are my fault for not cleaning but the 22s were given to me by a co worker. As for the comment about kegging, I normally do keg my beers but i have been making alot of complex specialty brews that I want to age but also need fermentor space. I am deffinitly planning on picking up mores kegs as aging vessels as well as dispensing kegs.
Are you counterpressure filling those bottles or old school straight from the fermenter bottling for aging purposes?

Old 11-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #25
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 35

When I get bottles from friends or relatives, I am always amazed at the "science experiments" that occur in the bottoms of some bottles. I am also amazed at the huge variety of plain, simple CRAP some folks stick into empty beer bottles. Getting them cleaned out is all part of the challenge of brewing.

For really, REALLY crudded-up bottles, cut the end off the bottle brush and put the shaft end into an electric drill. Insert brush into bottle and turn on the drill. Bend the shaft at a slight angle, if necessary, to get all the crud in the bottom corners.

And, if all efforts to clean the bottle fail dismally...RECYCLE the bottle!

glenn514

Old 11-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #26
ncallahan03
Recipes 

image-564010741.jpg

I made this out of pvc. Washes 6 bottles at once. Bottle sits on top of the pvc pipe and you can blast away the grime. Hook it up to the kitchen sink and turn on the hot water to sanitize them.

I am working on a way to add a cleaner in line to sanitize better.

Cost me about $10.

Would be willing to make for people if you didnt want to make your own.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #27
caioz1jp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36

Are you counterpressure filling those bottles or old school straight from the fermenter bottling for aging purposes?
When i bottle i use a spigot bucket with priming sugar. I do plan on trying to keg carb and bottle but i just dont see a need for it except to take brew to a party. Like i said i try to bottle specialty beers that have comllex flavors.

Also for those that need a reminder. Bleach works amazingly to clean the worst of the worst. Just get something that you can easily squirt into the bottles and use just enought straight bleach to cover the bottom of the bottle. Heavy mold bottles may need two soakings.

Quick Reply