The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Need advice on next steps

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond, KY
Posts: 411
Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Default

I will be acquiring a few kegs in a few days. I would like to eventually do a three tap tower with an under counter kegerator at my bar. However, I cannot afford the kegerator at this time. I was wanting to just put one in my big fridge with a party tap till I can get the rest of my stuff. However I do not want to waste money rebuying stuff.
Should I get a three port reg or get a three port secondary later.
What size tank?
Anything else I need besides seals and cleaner I will need?

__________________
moscoeb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Brulosopher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,697
Liked 198 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb
I will be acquiring a few kegs in a few days. I would like to eventually do a three tap tower with an under counter kegerator at my bar.
However, I cannot afford the kegerator at this time. I was wanting to just put one in my big fridge with a party tap till I can get the rest of my stuff. However I do not want to waste money
What exactly are you seeking advice on?
Brulosopher is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond, KY
Posts: 411
Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher

What exactly are you seeking advice on?
Had to edit, sorry. First time posted it didn't get half of my post. Stupid phone.

Just best options to buy and have one keg running now, with option to have up to three later. Without wasting money.
__________________
moscoeb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 2,411
Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default

Are you keeping the CO2 tank in the fridge? If you are, I'd buy the biggest one that fits with your kegs. If not, buy the biggest one you can afford/store. It'll make your fills much cheaper, and it'll last a lot longer. I have a 10# but if I wish I'd grabbed a 20#.

And you can go the secondary regulator option, or use a single regulator with splitters or a manifold, or use a dual regulator with one splitter. It depends how much you want to spend and how much control you want over carb levels.

__________________
zachattack is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
BirdmanBrewingCo
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
BirdmanBrewingCo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,124
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb View Post
I will be acquiring a few kegs in a few days. I would like to eventually do a three tap tower with an under counter kegerator at my bar. However, I cannot afford the kegerator at this time. I was wanting to just put one in my big fridge with a party tap till I can get the rest of my stuff. However I do not want to waste money rebuying stuff.
Should I get a three port reg or get a three port secondary later.
What size tank?
Anything else I need besides seals and cleaner I will need?
This is the most economical way to get started out of the gates with a picnic tap: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-ki...dard-homebrew/

Then when you want to add a a couple additional kegs, just grab some gas tubing, quick disconnects, and one of these to expand your CO2 into 3 kegs: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/3-way-...-with-shutoff/

And then you connect one of these to dispense your 3 kegs: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/premiu...triple-faucet/
__________________
Birdman Brewing Company
Homebrew and Draft Beer Gear
Exploring Beer. Cheaper.

www.birdmanbrewing.com
401-400-BREW (2739)

Facebook BirdmanBrewingCompany

BeerSmith 2.1 just $21.89 every day!
BirdmanBrewingCo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond, KY
Posts: 411
Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack
Are you keeping the CO2 tank in the fridge? If you are, I'd buy the biggest one that fits with your kegs. If not, buy the biggest one you can afford/store. It'll make your fills much cheaper, and it'll last a lot longer. I have a 10# but if I wish I'd grabbed a 20#.

And you can go the secondary regulator option, or use a single regulator with splitters or a manifold, or use a dual regulator with one splitter. It depends how much you want to spend and how much control you want over carb levels.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdmanBrewingCo

This is the most economical way to get started out of the gates with a picnic tap: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-ki...dard-homebrew/

Then when you want to add a a couple additional kegs, just grab some gas tubing, quick disconnects, and one of these to expand your CO2 into 3 kegs: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/3-way-...-with-shutoff/

And then you connect one of these to dispense your 3 kegs: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/premiu...triple-faucet/
I will look over those links.

Any difference between a regulator with a three way splitter/secondary or a three way regulator besides ability to set carb pressures and price?
__________________
moscoeb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 2,411
Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb View Post
Any difference between a regulator with a three way splitter/secondary or a three way regulator besides ability to set carb pressures and price?
Well a secondary and splitter are very different. A secondary would give you the ability to change the pressure, so say you have 30 PSI coming from your primary reg, you could use a relatively pricey 3-body secondary to give you 3 lower pressures on your 3 kegs. Or you could have 12 PSI going in, and use a cheap splitter to give you 12 PSI on all 3 kegs. You could also have the 12 PSI go to a manifold with ball valves, which is a little cleaner and easier to deal with.

But price and independent carb levels are the 2 big factors, another is space and another is the location of your tank. You don't want 3 holes in your fridge if the tank is outside. Or maybe you have room for a splitter in your fridge, but not a 3-body secondary. Etc. It depends where you want the tank.
__________________
zachattack is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond, KY
Posts: 411
Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Default

Gotcha, thanks.

But either way it is feasible to go with a single reg now and chose a splitter or secondary later depending in my set up?
Sorry, all completely new, but looking forward to learning.

__________________
moscoeb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 2,411
Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default

Absolutely. A splitter/manifold can be as cheap or fancy as you want, and it's easy to add on later.

Manifold:
http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/4-way-...-with-shutoff/

Wye fitting that screws into reg:
http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/wye-sp...bly-5-16-barb/

Cheap!!
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=222

Just make sure you use hose clamps, and make sure you check for leaks.

__________________
zachattack is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #10
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond, KY
Posts: 411
Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Default

How drastic is the carb levels for different styles?

I brew all kinds of stuff, really whatever strikes my mood at that time. Is it worth it for me to get and way to regulate kegs differently? Which styles are way off from others?

__________________
moscoeb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Next steps? brewtalk Equipment/Sanitation 3 04-15-2013 05:18 AM
BIAB Mashing steps - full volume, steps? Keqwow BIAB Brewing 5 02-25-2013 06:44 PM
Advice on final steps to my Quad Belgian strongarm General Beer Discussion 13 05-17-2012 12:23 AM
Next steps dgabler Cider Forum 1 01-14-2009 09:27 PM
871 steps? jaydventer General Techniques 9 11-18-2008 04:57 PM



Newest Threads