Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Natural keg conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
brian74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Natural keg conditioning

I am about to keg my first batch, and I will let it condition naturally. Once I rack the brew into the keg, should I purge the O2 out with CO2? If so, would this be done through the in or out port? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Do mean you are carbonating with sugar? I would use the gas in port for the CO2 and vent it a few times through the pressure relief valve.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
ChandlerBang
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Do mean you are carbonating with sugar? I would use the gas in port for the CO2 and vent it a few times through the pressure relief valve.
Is this neccesary? The problem is I have a brew sitting in a carboy ready for kegging but the CO2 bottles are off getting pressure tested. It'll be 2 weeks before I get them back. I don't want to bottle them because I'm lazy and I don't want to wait 3+ weeks for them to be ready, but alas, I may have to anyway.

I was thinking I could naturally carb it in the keg and then when I get the CO2 tanks back, be ready to go.

I don't know, I'm just frustrated I guess..........

Old 11-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaite37 View Post
Is this neccesary? The problem is I have a brew sitting in a carboy ready for kegging but the CO2 bottles are off getting pressure tested. It'll be 2 weeks before I get them back. I don't want to bottle them because I'm lazy and I don't want to wait 3+ weeks for them to be ready, but alas, I may have to anyway.

I was thinking I could naturally carb it in the keg and then when I get the CO2 tanks back, be ready to go.

I don't know, I'm just frustrated I guess..........
No, it's not necessary. It's nice to do- you can check the seals and make sure you don't have any leaks, as well as purge the headspace with the co2, but it's not necessary.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
specialized
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i don't think purging the o2 is as big a deal as making sure everything is sealed up correctly. Think about it, when you bottle you don't purge the 02.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
Dv3andrs
Recipes 

So it's perfectly ok to prep as if bottling using the sugar, and then just rack it into a keg? Do you just close the lid and then let it sit for a week then?

Old 11-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
drano38
Recipes 

I sugar primed my first keg. I had CO2, so I put the sugar water in the keg, racked from bucket, sanitized lid, put lid on, then hit with 20 psi to the Gas In post to seal the lid good and then purged a couple times.
Be aware that if your lid doesn't form a tight seal when you put it on, the CO2 generated from the priming sugar will leak out. A friend of mine had that happen. Two weeks later and he had flat beer.
On my second keg, I carbed with the tank. It took 30 psi and several lid remove/reinstalls to get the lid to seal up, even with lube on the o-rings. Obviously that lid is tweeked a bit. If I would have used that lid/keg for my sugar prime batch, I doubt it would have held a seal when the sugar/yeast did its work.
So give it a try. If you lid seals good, you'll have carbed beer. If not, hook your bottle up to it and with a couple weeks more, you'll have carbed beer.

Quick Reply