Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > natural carbonating in a keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
HughBrooks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default natural carbonating in a keg

Just made my first beer that I plan on kegging. Never used a keg before and dont have any CO2 tanks for forced carbonating. Was wondering if I use the same amount of priming sugar for kegging as I would if I were bottling. I am using a 5gal corny keg. Thanks for any info!

GOT TO BREW!!
R B DUBs Brewhouse

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
EMPyre
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That's what I've been doing, 1/3cup per corney... I've still had carbing issues, I get enough pressure to push beer, but aside from an initial head not many bubbles. Its either my hard water or the headspace in the keg. You'll be fine, but go get some gas as soon as possible so you can purge the air and force carb if need be.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I always used 3/4 cup of dextrose when bottling 5 gal. I do use 1/3 cup of dextrose when kegging. Sometimes a little more, like a little less than 1/2 cup, depending on the style. After racking it over and adding the sugar, I seat the lid and pop about 20# of CO2 on it to make sure I don't have any seal issues. I close the bale and then let the keg age for 1 month before I tap it. I have forced carbed, but as a rule, I don't. You don't NEED CO2 to carb, but you really have to check the seal on the cornys. The older ones are notorious for being harder to seal. Everyone does it a little differently but this way works for me and I've never had any issues. On a final note, you will need CO2 to drive the beer anyway. I would go ahead and get the CO2 before I tried to keg. Let us know how this progresses. Luck - Dwain

Old 09-28-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was going to go ahead and naturally carb my latest beer in a corny with 1/3 cup of dextrose, but my room mates helped with the cost of the CO2 setup... I still did a lot of research beforehand and I believe the best way to do it would be to make sure the head space is minimal, use a long serving line (6'+) and maintain pressure on the beer using a CO2 cartridge charger that can be attached to your "in" fixture on the corny keg.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 09-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
EMPyre
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMac View Post
and maintain pressure on the beer using a CO2 cartridge charger that can be attached to your "in" fixture on the corny keg.
Why would you need this, don't you have 5lb bottle? Just dial back the psi to a proper serving pressure. Or am I missing something?

Old 09-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPyre View Post
Why would you need this, don't you have 5lb bottle? Just dial back the psi to a proper serving pressure. Or am I missing something?
I have a CO2 cylinder but the OP does not. Using a 16 gram CO2 cartridge charger is a pretty cheap alternative to buying a CO2 cylinder and regulator.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 09-28-2009, 11:48 PM   #7
HughBrooks
Recipes 

I am actually putting this in a keg for a party and dont actually have any kegging equipment of my own. It is on my wish list though. Thanks for all the info. I am making a coffee stout so I dont need a whole lot of carbonation. I am sure that the keg has a good seal so that should not be a big problem.

GOT TO BREW!!
R B DUBs Brewhouse

Old 09-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
EMPyre
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMac View Post
I have a CO2 cylinder but the OP does not. Using a 16 gram CO2 cartridge charger is a pretty cheap alternative to buying a CO2 cylinder and regulator.
Ok, just was a little confused, thought YOU were using both the cylinder and an additional cartridge charger. Sorry.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
velotech
Recipes 

I use a 1/2 cup corn sugar for a 5 gal keg for most "normally" carbed brews and works great for me. After closing it up I put the normal server pressure of about 12lbs in the keg, purge a few times to remove the oxegen and let sit at 70 for a week, then in the basement at 60 for aging.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
EMPyre
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Don't mean to hi-jack, but...
Why would kegging vs. bottling use a different volume of sugar for natural carb? I'm missing the logic behind this. Thanks.

Quick Reply