Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Natural Carb keg while I wait for temp controller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
rifraf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default Natural Carb keg while I wait for temp controller?

Hey all, I'm getting a chest freezer this week but my temp controller isn't due to arrive until early to mid June. I'm thinking about kegging a beer I have next weekend with priming sugar. Should be about two to three weeks before the keezer is operational after that. Would I just set to serving pressure when the keezer is ready to go?

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
Skipper74
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yup. I naturally carb all of my kegs. I think the extra three weeks (or more) that I let them sit really helps the beer condition much better than force carbing. The added bonus is that you save a lot of CO2 and have to fill up much less often.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
KYB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yup. Depending on your lines you may or may not need to bleed a little excess pressure after it's cold. I occasionally naturally carb kegs of all sizes. With cornies, make sure it's holding pressure. With some of mine I will have to blast it with 30psi to seal the lid real well, then bleed most of the pressure and let it carbonate. Otherwise, I would lose all the gas and 3 weeks of time.

Quick Reply