Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Mystery Keg Leak - Advice Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
roverlandpark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mystery Keg Leak - Advice Needed

Today I went to the beer fridge and realized I was out of beer. No big deal, as I had a second keg ready to go from my last batch. I disconnected the old and hooked up the new and I am greeted by that familiar hissing sound. I turned off the CO2 and got a cup of soapy water to determine from where the leak was coming.

At this point it looks like it is coming from under the the plastic handles of the keg. I only have two kegs, so I'm in the process of cleaning the spent keg now and will transfer the beer to it shortly. Once I get this done, I'll more closely inspect the leaking keg.

In the meantime, can somebody provide some advice on the following questions?

• Do you think my beer would have been significantly oxidized by this leak?
  • Assuming that the leak is under the plastic, should I even bother trying to fix it? If so, what would be the best option?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
chrisknight
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A leak under the plastic? How the heck did that happen? Do you see any punctures through the plastic? If not, you might have a sneaky post leak. Your beer is fine. Especially if it has just been sitting. The transfer was sure to have released some co2 where a blanket would have formed over top of the beer. Just don't shake it up. How big are your bubbles?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
My brewing videos
My brew rig project

Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
chrisknight
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

...and if somehow you do have a puncture under the plastic, take the keg to a TIG welder to put a little weld dab closing it up...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
My brewing videos
My brew rig project

Quick Reply