Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > At my wits end with kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
Canadianbrewer2012
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default At my wits end with kegging

I just made my first attempt at kegging an American Style Light ... I did everything I thought I was supposed to ... Once the beer was in I let it cool in the fridge over night... I hooked it up to 30# and rocked it for 10 min... I lowered the pressured to 10# or so for serving and it was basically all foam ... when it cleared I tried it and it WAS carbonated slightly but not near enough ... I hooked it back up and tried again rocking with 30# for 5 more minutes ... Tried it and still basically all foam out of the tap and flat beer... I have gone back an forth like this a couple times .. My beer is flat and I get nothing but head when I open the tap .. I want my beer more carbonated but I can't poor one as it is with all the head ... I'm ready to give up but I have spent a lot of money on my kegerator to give up now... If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear it cause I am feeling defeated at the moment.... and now when I open the tap my beer seems like it has more head and less carbonation to the beer I DON'T GET IT! Here is a couple pictures of my set up ...

image-4193563739.jpg   image-2647414792.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
mendesm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Edit: After re-reading your post, I see you're missing the venting of the keg after shaking it. The steps are:

1. cool overnight
2. pressurize to 30#
3. close gas line
4. shake
5. let it sit a few minutes
5.5 (vent) <= this is what I did, some may skip it
6. open gas line to pressurize to 30# again
7. close gas line
8. shake
8. let it sit a few minutes
9. vent
10. set serving pressure
11. open gas line
12. pour

[Edit 2] There's a thread in the forums that explain how to fix an over carbonated keg.

But in the worse case scenario, just vent the keg, set it to serving pressure and wait two weeks for it to equalize. This way, you'll probably be able to start drinking it in a week with a pretty close carbonation level, but it'll definitely get better after 2 weeks.

[original]
10 psi seems to be to low for serving. The foam problem did not go away in my first (and last) keg due to slow flow.

1. Make sure you're opening the tap all the way up. If you're not, you're restricting the flow of the beer and it'll foam up.
2. If it's still foaming up, raise the pressure a couple of PSI at a time and try again.

See if that helps.

There are other things that can cause all of that foam, too; like the beer line being be too short/long.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

This is your FIRST attempt at kegging and in a matter of 15 minutes of trying to carbonate your beer, you're ready to give up? In that case, I want to be the first to offer you $50 for all of your kegging equipment.

Anyways, if you read any threads on here about carbonating a keg, many people suggest the sit and wait method because it is easy to mess things up doing burst carbonation if you are not sure what you are doing. Instead of throwing your hands up in the air, why not just let the keg sit at a proper pressure for 2 weeks and see how it is doing?

Old 06-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
SkipperNC

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 15

A couple things to try:

1) Lengthen your liquid line from the keg to the tap. There's a formula around here somewhere but some person with better google skills than me needs to link it.

2) Vent your keg nearly completely. Reattach at your new pressure and let it sit again overnight. For what it's worth, my pressure sits at nearly 12 for serving.

Also a tip just in case this is your first time dealing with one. The tap is for full-on or full-off. You never open a tap handle half way, that's all you will get is foam. It takes time to force carb. The super quick method never seems to work for me. If you set serving pressure and leave it a week, it's usually fine.

In Bottles: Maple Oatmeal Stout
Planning: Apricot Blonde, ESB, American Wheat
Gallons in 2012: 35
GarageDweller Likes This 
Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
mysd
Recipes 

Setting psi high and shaking gives unreliable results, I have found. Also, it still takes days with that method to hit proper serving pressure.
Better bet (requires patience) is to set it around 11-12 psi and leave it for 10-14 days to absorb properly.

My setup uses 10 foot lines at 12 psi and kegs are left for about 12 days to carb before drinking.

-J.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Canadianbrewer2012
Recipes 

Wow that is way different than I thought ... Ok soo... After I have tried blasting this thing with carbonation over and over again.. I will try setting to 12 psi and leave it alone for 10 days .. I will reply on the threat after that... Does it matter that I have probably pissed away a 6th of my beer trying it numerous times? (I probably just pissed a lot of people off saying that)

Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
mendesm

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianbrewer2012 View Post
Wow that is way different than I thought ... Ok soo... After I have tried blasting this thing with carbonation over and over again.. I will try setting to 12 psi and leave it alone for 10 days .. I will reply on the threat after that... Does it matter that I have probably pissed away a 6th of my beer trying it numerous times? (I probably just pissed a lot of people off saying that)
We'll let it go this time, but this is the sort of thing that will get you banned from the forums

Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
mysd
Recipes 

It may finish carbing 1/6 quicker

Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It might also already be over carbed. Remember, if you are getting nothing but foam/head, that's co2 coming out of solution, of course what's left will be flat. I'd pull it off the gas, vent it, then leave it in the kegerator for a day and try it. I've only done the shake thing once and have regretted it. I'd much rather set it to 12 psi and wait it out. Even drinking it early and having semi flat beer at day four is better than having to troubleshoot.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
BrotherGrim
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

There is a sticky thread called force carbonation that goes into infinite detail on how this can be done. It is long, and has many posts where people tell what works for them, but by and large the overall preferred method seems to be 20-30psi for 24hrs, then set to 12psi for at least a week. That is almost exactly what I used to do, and I always had good luck. Also, someone else mentioned it, but your serving line is awfully short. I keep mine at least 10ft. I have one that is 15ft for beers that I like to have a bit more carbonation on.

...Free at last! Free at last! As of 1 July the state of Mississippi has

Set My Kettle Free!

Quick Reply