*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Is my siphon oxygenating my beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
JoeSpartaNJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I need to buy a new auto siphon anyway. I switched back to buckets and the blow siphon will not work on it. Hopefully it is something that simple.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #12
MrVol
Recipes 

I got lots of air in my first batch, and it didn't seem to affect it one bit.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #13
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Even with the auto siphon, the beer coming out of the dip tube into the tubing creates an air pocket. I usually get the siphon going then squeeze the tubing right at the top by bending it down, this flushes the air out.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:58 AM   #14
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by treydobass View Post
This Hefe is in a secondary and I'm just going to pour it straight into a keg
that sounds like a good way to make your oxidation problems worse

Old 09-26-2012, 03:17 AM   #15
treydobass
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad

that sounds like a good way to make your oxidation problems worse
This is true. I thought I could find a way to slowly/calmly pour, but that was just ridiculous. BUBBLE QUESTION SOLVED. It actually is a poor seal. Its the rubber plunger inside the siphon. The vacuum created by the downward fall of the beer out of the siphon is greater than that of what the seal can withstand, so air starts to leak in. Pour a little beer into a sanitized glass and pour that on top of the plunger/inside the siphon. No more bubbles.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #16
Bigcorona
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I have the problem of a bad seal where the siphon hose attaches to the auto siphon. I am using vinel tubing attaching with a screw ring clamp. I can not get the clamp tight enough to stop the air leak. If I try, I crack the auto siphon. Does anyone have a solution to this? Different hose? Different clamp?

Old 09-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #17
Jboyles123
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcorona
I have the problem of a bad seal where the siphon hose attaches to the auto siphon. I am using vinel tubing attaching with a screw ring clamp. I can not get the clamp tight enough to stop the air leak. If I try, I crack the auto siphon. Does anyone have a solution to this? Different hose? Different clamp?
An air bubble forms in mine at the same spot, but it's not a leak, it's just trapped air. As mentioned earlier, I can just squeeze, the tubing over the bubble and it will flush out the air.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:01 AM   #18
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 651

I think something else is going on here...until I bought my bottling bucket I was siphoning 4 times before bottles (primary to secondary, secondary to bottling "pot" followed by another siphon into the bottles) Yet I never experienced any oxidation.

I even considered that I was making hoppy IPA that I drank young and that could be masking the oxidation, but after my BoPils which bottle conditioned for 4 months, I realized this was not the case. I sometimes get the little bubbles at the bend of the racking cane...I find an extra push of the auto-siphon fixes this. I don't even consider myself the most careful of siphoners out there but something has to be going on to get oxidation like you explain. Can't help you but when I used to siphon, I would also use the squeeze technique to elimate problem.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:10 AM   #19
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSpartaNJ View Post
Bubbles only around where the racking cane meets the siphon tube, and like I said...not alot of them.

The increased pressure in the carboy is from using the "blow" siphon, introducing air into the carboy to start the siphon. That is what made me think that the beer might be getting oxidized.
Introducing AIR or CO2? If you're just hooking up an aquarium pump to blow it out...that's a big issue there.

If it's CO2, then purge your keg prior to siphoning (or bottles), and/or take the siphon tube off and buy a tube that's 1/16" to 1/8" smaller ID. Attach to the racking cane by either gently heating with a lighter or dunking the end of the tube into hot water for 5 seconds or so and you'll get a nice tight seal and no air intake. (If you see bubbles after this, it's due to the entrained CO2 in the beer you're transferring, not a leak. You could also be seeing this with a tight clamped set-up.)

Other usual causes of oxygenation:
1. Splashing beer while transferring: make sure siphon tube is all the way to the bottom of the vessel being transferred to
2. Oxygenating at too high a temp after boil: don't vigorously stir until below 90 F when cooling

Those are the two biggest in addition to non-purging of vessels.

Good luck!

Old 09-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #20
sch21c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by treydobass View Post
This is true. I thought I could find a way to slowly/calmly pour, but that was just ridiculous. BUBBLE QUESTION SOLVED. It actually is a poor seal. Its the rubber plunger inside the siphon. The vacuum created by the downward fall of the beer out of the siphon is greater than that of what the seal can withstand, so air starts to leak in. Pour a little beer into a sanitized glass and pour that on top of the plunger/inside the siphon. No more bubbles.
I need to try this. When I was transferring my last batch into the bottling bucket I noticed quite a bit of bubbles coming up. I was planning on getting a larger auto siphon thinking a larger ID tube would generate less bubbles, but I'll try this first. Thanks!

Quick Reply