Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > is my regulator working? new to kegging...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
liebertron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default is my regulator working? new to kegging...

I am not sure my regulator is working the way it is suppose to, but I dont have a point of reference since this is my first time kegging.

When I bring the PSI down to go from carbonating pressure to serving pressure i usually have to vent the co2 gas as im bringing the regulator psi down or the needle stays at the previous psi. are regulators kind of finicky like that and a bit of a pain in the butt or does mine not work properly? Does not seem like an exact science with these things...?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 778 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Mine does the same. The pressure is there in the keg and lines. If you don't bleed it, it can't go lower. I start low and sneak up on my setting.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Short answer:
Yup that's normal.

Long answer:
Yup, that's normal. The regulator only regulates (huh, imagine that...) the pressure in one direction. If you set the pressure to 20 psi, the regulator will put 20 psi out. If you turn it down, because the regulator only regulates in one direction, the pressure in the line wont go back through the regulator and into the tank. If there's nowhere for the pressure to go, it wont go, thus venting is needed.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply