Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > My Experience With The Coors Lite Home Draft (Video)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #211
Dahoov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 for a likely leak. Unfortunately the neck size of the cartridge that is included is slightly larger than the most of the neck size of the available cartridges. The threaded ones have a slightly larger neck and they seem to work better. Others have reported luck using several rubber o-rings stacked up around the neck of the non threaded cartridges.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #212
New Brew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Has anyone naturally carbed in these, with the tap attached as the bottle cap (but no CO2 cart.)?

Was reading in another area of the forums that someone reported the tap failed under the pressure of carbing, destroying the tap and spraying the beer out all over.

Of course, I read this about 30 min after bottling a batch of weizen, primed for 3.5 vol CO2, split between a MLHD and 1 liter swing-tops.

I'm not too worried about the glass bottles, but I'm concerned about what's carbing in the home draft bottle w/ tap. I bottled last Sat, and the plastic bottle is pretty hard (but not yet rock hard) already this morning. I could easily crack the top to bleed off some pressure, rather than risk a blow-up, but I'm not sure if it's necessary or not.

Thoughts?

-NB

Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 AM   #213
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brew
Has anyone naturally carbed in these, with the tap attached as the bottle cap (but no CO2 cart.)?

Was reading in another area of the forums that someone reported the tap failed under the pressure of carbing, destroying the tap and spraying the beer out all over.

Of course, I read this about 30 min after bottling a batch of weizen, primed for 3.5 vol CO2, split between a MLHD and 1 liter swing-tops.

I'm not too worried about the glass bottles, but I'm concerned about what's carbing in the home draft bottle w/ tap. I bottled last Sat, and the plastic bottle is pretty hard (but not yet rock hard) already this morning. I could easily crack the top to bleed off some pressure, rather than risk a blow-up, but I'm not sure if it's necessary or not.

Thoughts?
I naturally carbed mine with the tap on with no problems. I'm pretty sure I over carbed too and the bottle got rock hard, but nothing broke and it works great.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #214
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brew View Post

Thoughts?
I naturally carb with the tapper as a cap with no problems. I leave the co2 cartridge off.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #215
raf1919
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i naturally carb mine and one 16g has always lasted for me.. in fact even after i finish beer there is still pressure left over. perhaps how fast your drink will matter.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #216
gregger
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Found this thread from a link provided in another thread someone was starting on the same subject.

I haven't started brewing 5 gallons yet due to not wanting to tediously bottle all of it, so thanks to the OP for spending the time to make the videos. Makes me wonder if Coors/Miller Brewing company actually made this in a way for Home Brewers to be able to reuse it.

Without a kegerator of any kind, I know have an option to have brew on tap. Kind of makes me shameful that this hasn't crossed my mind before.

Anyway I have about 10 C02 cartridges I purchased last year from a sports store for use in a pellet gun of mine, can those be used in the home draft system or is there some kind of food grade C02 cartridges?

Also, I'll search around the forums, but does anyone know of someone who has experience reusing one of the mini Heineken Aluminum Kegs? Or a forum post somewhere?

Bottled: Oat Red Ale, Peach Wheat, Strawberry Dirty Blonde Ale, Brown Sugar IPA

In line: Cucumber Summer Blonde, Kona Pipeline Porter Clone, Bacon Porter

The best yet: St. Nick's Dirty Stout (Vanilla Gingerbread Stout) - guessed at the recipe when boiling, didn't write anything down... DAMN.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #217
zepolmot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What a bear of a thread to read through, looking for clarification on 1 final thing. How much does bottle orientation (vert/horiz) make when natural carbing? Would like to suck up as little yeast as possible when serving.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #218
raf1919
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepolmot View Post
What a bear of a thread to read through, looking for clarification on 1 final thing. How much does bottle orientation (vert/horiz) make when natural carbing? Would like to suck up as little yeast as possible when serving.
i dont think makes any diff. once you go to serve you will have sediment collect at the bottom.

here is what i do. I use a cap when i carb mine. that day before i tap, i put it upside down in fridge. next say i take out and all sediment is in cap and that area so in one motion open and flip back over catching a lot of yeast in cap and i have paper towel next to me and quickly wipe up as much as i can in the rim of bottle. doesn't get it all but does a get a good amount.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #219
zepolmot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cool idea, thanks raf.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #220
skidaddytn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you carb with the tap in place then theretically it is impossible to overprime since the regulator is also there.

Quick Reply